6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2008 4:58 AM by kh54s10

Blank fields when emailing a .fp7 file

kh54s10

Title

Blank fields when emailing a .fp7 file

I have created a database with several layouts.  This I sent a clone with no records a friend and when he emails the .fp7 file (a single record) back almost half of the fields in the record are blank.

I created the original with Filemaker 5 and have upgraded since to Filemaker 9.  Everything seems to have updated except emailing. Actually this problem started when I added new fields to my original layout when still using version 5.

Is there any reason that I am missing why some of the fields do not show?

• 1. Re: Blank fields when emailing a .fp7 file
          TSGal

kh54s10:

Thank you for your post.

Emailing a file should not affect the internals of the file.  If you sent a clone to the customer and half of the fields in the record are blank, is it possible the fields weren't filled in?  Or, instead of tabbing between fields, is it possible the user pressed return?  That way, the other field information may be in one of the fields.  Try tabbing between the fields to see if the data suddenly appears.

Another possibility is if the customer was accidentally in Find mode trying to enter data.  I've also seen this happen a number of times.  Naturally, none of that data would be saved.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Blank fields when emailing a .fp7 file
            kh54s10

Tabbing through the fields does not work.  I also have another person using the database and we have the same problem there.

We print out the layout and fax it separately so I can be sure that all should be the same. As I said this has continued since I added fields in version 5 through the upgrade to version 9.  I have updated with new clones as I have added fields and the problem continued. It is mostly, but not only, with the new fields. It seems to stay consistent in which ones remain blank so I do not think that it is a data entry issue.

Ken

• 3. Re: Blank fields when emailing a .fp7 file
              TSGal

Ken:

After the user quits, have them reopen the file and see if the data is still there.  If not, then there is definitely a problem, and I would like to see the file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Blank fields when emailing a .fp7 file
                kh54s10

While messing around I have clicked on the solved button.  It is not solved and I cannot remove the solved check.

TSGal I do not see anything that shows X Messages.

When they re open the file on their end the data is still there.

I have misstated the version that I am currently using.  It is 8 not 9.

Ken

• 5. Re: Blank fields when emailing a .fp7 file
                  kh54s10

Through rummaging around I found the directions to send the files.  I will send the email shortly.

Ken

• 6. Re: Blank fields when emailing a .fp7 file
                    kh54s10

Thanks for yours and Steves help.  In Steve's last email he stated that some of the fields had no information in them to import.  This led me to look further and i found that we were skipping over the MOVE ALL button in the Specify Field Order for Export window.

Thus it was actually that we were exporting improperly and not a problem with emailing

Thanks again,

Ken