4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 10:36 AM by Kundinger

Blank Files

stairmaster

Title

Blank Files

I use FileMaker for registering students for various courses.  Each course has a limit to the number of students that can be registered and once the number is reached, that particular class can not be chosen.  On numerous occasions when we print out what we expect to be a full class list, there are a few records that are completely blank.  Instead of having a full class, we have space to book 2 or 3 more students.

I don't know how these blank files are being created.  I am relatively new at using this program so any help would be great.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Blank Files
          TSGal

stairmaster:

Thank you for your post.

Without seeing how the registration process takes place, my initial thought is that a record is added when the student chooses the course, and then decides to not register, meaning the data would be blank.  Are there any safeguards to ensure students are enrolling in the class before adding a record and updating the information?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Blank Files
            stairmaster

I guess I forgot to mention that we register people over the phone so the students are not selecting their courses, the office staff is.  We fill out all their personal information and then based on whether they want a specific location, or a specific date, we then book them for that course.

If they are booked for a course and then call us to cancel, we do not delete the whole file, we just delete the course from their record.  I have tried to duplicate the process we follow but cannot seem to find what steps were followed that created the blank file. 

• 3. Re: Blank Files
              TSGal

stairmaster:

Thank you for the clarification.

Do you know if the staff are adding blank records?  Or, are the records already created and the information is filled in?

If the staff is adding blank records, could they add more than one at a time by accident?  You need to take into account all the possibilities that could go wrong, and eliminate those possibilities.

If the records are already created, have the staff go to a layout to enter the class ID.  This then finds the class, sorts by the student ID (meaning the blank records are listed first), and the staff can enter the student ID.  If tall spaces are filled, then no blank records appear.  If the student drops the class, the contents of the record are removed, and the record is blank again.

I hope this will give you some ideas.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Blank Files
                Kundinger

Just a basic FYI (so other readers understand your issue)...  your system is apparently adding "blank records", NOT blank 'FILES'! 

As "TSGal" mentioned, it is more than likely that your system users are 'inadvertently' adding a blank record into the system during the workflow process.

Two possible solutions...

A. Trace the workflow steps to see when blank records are created

- this may be happening when you add a student and you have a portal & relationship with the option to "add a related record"
                   - this may be happening when a user adds a class to a student and deletes the field contents, but doesn't delete the record
                   - this may be happening when a user adds a class to a student and neglects to 'fill-in' the data
                   - this may be happening in a script step 

B. Utilize "System Integrity Checking"...

- use field validation options to warn users of missing or inappropriate data upon record creation
                   - use a calc field that displays a warning message on the screen when the necessary data is missing in ANY field
                   - use a calc field that changes the background color of the screen or portal row when the necessary data is missing in ANY field
                   - use scripts to delete extraneously created records...  use this at startup, shutdown, or during other scripted workflows

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger