6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 10:56 AM by philmodjunk

Blank Labels with Dymo Printer

eldoonmad

Title

Blank Labels with Dymo Printer

I am printing labels from FileMaker Pro using a Dymo LabelWriter 450. It actually prints out just fine using the Dymo preset. The only problem is that it prints the label and then a blank label. Very wastefull. I wanted to see if it might be a size issue with the margins, so I selected to have a border print around the label but the border did not extend to the second label, instead it printed just fine around my label and then the blank label had it's own border around it. So I feel like it is printing a blank record. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Blank Labels with Dymo Printer
          philmodjunk

What page size did you specify when printing?

How is the layout from which you printed designed? If the layout is larger than the maximum label size by even 1 pixel, you'll get that extra "page" so you may need to shrink the total size of your layout by a small portion unless you have the wrong page size specified for your label printer.

• 2. Re: Blank Labels with Dymo Printer
            eldoonmad

The size of the label is 3.5 by 1.12. I have checked and the preset size for the label is the same. Here are some screen shots. This is the size settings I have for the body of the layout.

• 3. Re: Blank Labels with Dymo Printer
              eldoonmad

Here is a screen shot of the size settings I have for the tex box in layout.

• 4. Re: Blank Labels with Dymo Printer
                eldoonmad

Here is a screen shot of the print dialogue. 

• 5. Re: Blank Labels with Dymo Printer
                  bumper

Since your label prints correctly it is probably a problem with the paper or margin size being a little too large.

But just in case try reducing the size of the text box until the handles are off the edges.

Have you created a Dymo paper size in Page Setup? 

In the Layout Setup > Printing are you using fixed paper margins?

Try reducing the label (paper) size or margin size until you find the sweet spot.

• 6. Re: Blank Labels with Dymo Printer
                    philmodjunk

I see a layout size of 1.125 inches and you indicate that the paper size should be 1.12. That small discrepancy may be enough to trigger the extra page when you print.

I'd change the units from inches to pixels by clicking the units until they cycle to the pixels setting. Then I'd click the body label and reduce the height of the label by a few pixels by editing the number in the Inspector. Then I'd change back to inches to see if I can get a value of 1.12 or a bit smaller.

Then I'd preview my layout with the dymo printer and custom page size selected to see if I get one or two pages when I preview it. (Click the book icon to see additional pages when you are in preview mode.)