1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 1:02 PM by Algo

Bloated HD requirements

LaRetta_1

Title

Bloated HD requirements

I understand (I suppose) how FMPA 9.0v3 might require only 474 MB (even after third updater) and moving to FMPA 10.0v1 might jump the space requirements to 802 MB (since vs. 10 has more bells and whistles).  But I cannot understand the huge difference between Pro and Pro Advanced.  Here is what I mean:

FMPro ....... v1 455 MB  v3 918 MB

FMPro Adv.. v1 802 MB  v3 1568 MB

Isn't the only difference debugger and custom functions?  And I cannot understand the huge difference between FMPA 10.0v1 and v3!!  What was in that last Updater which doubled the size of the program??  Heck, Adobe Acrobat 8.1.2 Professional only requires 1015 MB!! 

And are we going to be able to get an all-in-one installer like was done for vs. 9.0v3_full_ESD?  After all, they just came out with one for FM Server.

UPDATE:  10.0v3, Windows XP Professional SP2 (the accepted version for 10.0v1)

• 1. Re: Bloated HD requirements
          mrvodka

My FMPA10.0v3 says 2096 MB. Woah!

• 2. Re: Bloated HD requirements
            comment_1

Say what? I have just now updated OS X FMPA 10.0v1 to 10.0v3.

Before: 306 MB

After: 317.3 MB

This is of course just the application package, without the extra templates, documentations, etc. (but including the help system).

• 3. Re: Bloated HD requirements
              mrvodka

Even with all the extra stuff, it is not 1700 MB extra worth of stuff. Perhaps it is different on a Mac.

Also, speaking of the help files, I have noticed that it take a really long time to open up the Help files ( over 40 seconds ) the first time you open up help.

• 4. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                LaRetta_1

I pulled that size from Add/Remove Programs.  I had searched to find out where that figure comes from but (of course) Windows provides no answer other than 'this is application size of the application components.'    And I had removed all FileMaker components from my system, deleted all the directories, and cleaned the registry then rebooted and installed one at a time, rebooting and checking the file sizes as I went with NO plugins at all.

The v1 at 306 to v3 at 317.3 seems like normal increase; double sounds like very big mistake.

• 5. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                  comment_1

The entire FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced folder is less than 600 MB. Could it be that your disk file system has REALLY LARGE blocks?

AFAIK, the help system is completely different for the Mac (it uses the OS Help Viewer to display the files), so I don't think comparing speeds is useful.

• 6. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                    mrvodka
                       It almost seems like with each patch, it just adds to itself instead of replacing the old figure.
                    • 7. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                      comment_1

I watched the installer, and it said "Deleting..." towards the end. Also, it installed around 17,000 items, so ...

Unfortunately, it wasn't smart enough to append to the Installer Log File, otherwise I could tell you exactly.

• 8. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                        comment_1
                           BTW, as I was watching the installer, I noticed it was also installing Xalan (the XSLT engine used for exporting and importing XML). I got curious, so I checked - and it's still NOT the latest version.

Now, the last version, Xalan-C 1.10, was released in December 2005 - but apparently four years is not enough for FMI to catch up.

• 9. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                          LaRetta_1

I'm sorry to say I'm not at all surprised, Michael.

Update on the size issue:   Actual size of FMPA10.0v3 on this box is 520 MB even though it reports 1.5 GB in Add/Remove programs but it ISN'T a windows issue. 

I compared 15 programs (what is listed in Add/Remove Programs against what the folder (including subfolders) lists.  It was almost identical for every program except FileMaker vs. 9 and 10.  I even checked my home system and my laptop and it was true as well (we are SP2 on all of them).  Prior versions of FileMaker match almost exactly as well.

On my laptop, Pro 8.5 shows 353 MB, ProAdv 8.5 shows 424 MB (which is very close to the folder total).  But 9.0v4 shows 1,339 MB but the actual size used is 680 MB.  If it was a windows issue, ALL programs would be increasing each time they were updated and ALL versions of FileMaker would be increasing as well but that is not the case.  FMPA6.0v4 shows 65 MB in Add/Remove and 62 MB in actual file size so the fact that it was Updated three times didn't make it increase.

The conclusion APPEARS to be that something changed in vs. 9 which conflicts with Windows' ability to record the proper size.  I think it worthy of attention because it appears to be a FileMaker issue and not Windows.

• 10. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                            comment_1

Interesting. Perhaps it puts some stuff elsewhere, and notes it needs to be removed if uninstalling.

FWIW, I checked my Installer Log, but the only thing it installed outside of its own folder is FLEXnet -  a mere 884 KB.

• 11. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                              LaRetta_1

Thank you, Michael.  If it puts 1 GB elsewhere then we are back to the original problem - why so large?  And why double the size for Pro Advanced over Pro?  I'm reinstalling and I've tried to watch the files while being copied, scrolling by at 150,000 words per nano-second. I can't spot anything being installed in different directories but I think my eyes are permanently crossed!  :smileyindifferent: 

• 12. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                                TSGal

All:

I've also been trying to figure out what is going on.

First, on the Mac....

I noticed my FileMaker Pro 10 folder was 471.8 MB in size.  However, my FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced folder is 1.01 GB.

I then put both folders side by side for comparison.  In the FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced folder, there is a "FMI Runtime Resources" folder and that is 99.1 MB in size.

However, there is a "FileMaker Pro.old" folder that is 460.9 MB in size.  Inside is the following and size:

FileMaker Pro Advanced - 314.8 MB (application)

FM Web Publishing - 56 MB

Registration - 1.8 MB

Runtime - 88.3 MB

When I launch the FileMaker Pro Advanced application in this folder, it displays 10.0v1 before quitting with an error message (application installed incorrectly).  So, it appears some files are placed into an "old" folder and not deleted.  I don't know why, but I will try to find an answer.

On my Windows machine, I had already updated previously and during installation moved the application to another drive.  I did notice there was some leftover files from the other drive, but I don't recall an old copy of the application was left.  From what I can discern from your posts, this may be the cause.  Can anyone verify?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                                  mrvodka
                                     I dont have a "FileMaker Pro.old" folder.
                                  • 14. Re: Bloated HD requirements
                                    LaRetta_1

TSGal wrote:

On my Windows machine, I had already updated previously and during installation moved the application to another drive.  I did notice there was some leftover files from the other drive, but I don't recall an old copy of the application was left.  From what I can discern from your posts, this may be the cause.  Can anyone verify?

I am unsure how to verify.  I have no folders nor files which indicate v1 instead of v3.  It is either storing 1 GB elsewhere (other than the FileMaker/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced folder) or it is mis-reporting to windows somehow.  I can tell you one more piece ... and I'm convinced that the problem is in the Updaters.  Because this time when I reinstalled FMPA9 (after having removed all FM programs, deleted all folders etc), I reinstalled using the single 9v3_full_ESD instead of installing (as we received the updaters over time - individually).  And surprise ... the Add/Remove programs correctly shows the size as 474 MB (and directory is actually 473 MB).  But when installing 10, I had to install v1 first and then v3 and it skewed to 1.5 GB.

I can confidently say then, that it is the individual updaters which are either leaving trash behind that Windows identifies as being part of FileMaker's components or it is the individual updaters which misinform Windows of the size.

So again I ask, and now have more reason to ... if there are plans for a 10.0v3_full_ESD.  And I hope these individual updaters are addressed by your team to find out what they are doing.  Thank you for responding.

UPDATE: Oh, and no, I have no *.old folder either.

1 2 Previous Next