12 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2009 8:06 AM by philmodjunk

Blocking Data Entry

TuxfordC

Title

Blocking Data Entry

As I have previously commented, Filemaker is very new to me - although

database programming is not a mystery.

What I would like to do, is to block the entry of data into a field, unless

another field - flagged - has a positive entry.  Even better, would be to

mask this field unless the flagged field said "Yes".

Can I do this?  I know how to do it in Pascal, but how about in Filemaker?

Cheers,

Tuxford

• 1. Re: Blocking Data Entry
          KIDO
             <!--            @page { margin: 2cm }           P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }        -->

What FM Version are you using?

If you are using FM 10 you can use the field script trigger on OnObjectEntry with a script to move to next field.

If [ Upper ( your other field) = “YES” ]

Go to Next Field

• 2. Re: Blocking Data Entry
            raybaudi

Hi KIDO

interesting idea but that allows to enter the blocked field by drag and drop.

Even the old ( but ever valid ) "portal trick" is a good choise to hide the field.

• 3. Re: Blocking Data Entry
              KIDO
                 <!--            @page { margin: 2cm }           P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }        -->

Hi Daniele

Nothing that the Set Field script step couldn't handle. The final script should look like this:

If [ Upper ( your other field) “YES” ]

Set Field [ your field; “” ]

Go to Next Field

Don't you think?

• 4. Re: Blocking Data Entry
                ralvy

Why the use of the Upper function here? Isn't this true:

"yes"  = "Yes"

That is, isn't FMP using case insensitive logic to evaluate identity statements with respect to text strings?

• 5. Re: Blocking Data Entry
                  KIDO

Developing habit, just to prevent errors.

I'm  not sure how FM handles "yES" or "yeS" or "YeS".

• 6. Re: Blocking Data Entry
                    TuxfordC

Thanks KIDO and Daniele for advice.  Regrettably, I am working with FM 9 and am not sure if

the owners of the project wish to upgrade.  I'll put it to them.

TuxfordC.

(Whose Italian is terrrible)

• 7. Re: Blocking Data Entry
                      ralvy

Why not use Kido's formula without the GoNextField step, and make sure this formula is attached to the data entry field, and that field is set so that "calculation replaces existing data". This won't keep you out of that field, but it will always wipe out its data if the other field has "yes" in it:

If [ Upper ( your other field) “YES” ]

Set Field [ your field; “” ]

• 8. Re: Blocking Data Entry
                        raybaudi

KIDO wrote:

Nothing that the Set Field script step couldn't handle. Don't you think?

No... no field level trigger can fire a script w/o the field being active, so any dragged text do not fires that script.

• 9. Re: Blocking Data Entry
                          philmodjunk

For what it's worth, text comparisons in filemaker are not case sensitive. "YES", "Yes", "yes" will be treated as equivalent. The one notible exception is the substitute function.

Thus the UPPER function is harmless but unneeded in the examples given in this thread.

• 10. Re: Blocking Data Entry
                            TuxfordC

Hi again,

My thanks to those who gave Help, including the useful advice

that FM is not case sensitive.  After trying various options, I ended by using

ralvy's suggestion, but regardless of what I tried, the Boolean test would

not evaluate and I was locked right out of that field - regardless of what

what was in the tested field.   Decided not to waste time, and have used

another option. Converted the layout display from an Edit Box to a Drop-

Down and wrote a suggestion saying "Leave this Box empty unless the

previous one says "Yes".  OK, its a workaround to get the project up and

running.  I'll look again at the Boolean math if I live long enough.

Cheers,

TuxfordC

• 11. Re: Blocking Data Entry
                              ralvy

FirstField is a text field.

SecondField is a text field with this AutoEnter formula, set to replace existing value:

If ( FirstField = "yes" ; Self ; "" )

You could evaluate FirstField for not being "yes", but I couldn't figure out how to type the not-equal sign in this post here.

• 12. Re: Blocking Data Entry
                                philmodjunk

"I couldn't figure out how to type the not-equal sign in this post here."

I've learned I can enter special characters here by copying and pasting them from a Filemaker Specify Calculation dialog box. :smileywink: