2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2013 9:14 AM by bokenrosie

Body in Report not Growing to accommodate long fields

bokenrosie

Title

Body in Report not Growing to accommodate long fields

I have a report that consistes of three merge fields.  It results in a printout that looks like two columns of names, titles, and company names.  

My problem is that if I run into somebody with a very long title the body part does not expand to accomodate the title.  Is there a setting somewhere to change this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Body in Report not Growing to accommodate long fields
          philmodjunk

Fields, merge or otherwise, do not expand in FIleMaker, they can only shrink. To allow for variable amounts of space needed for data in a field, you have to set up a field (or the text object that contains your merge field) to have a very large size and then you use the sliding and visibility settings in the inspector to set them to slide up and to resized the enclosing part.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Body in Report not Growing to accommodate long fields
            bokenrosie

Thanks, as always.