5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 12:06 PM by Sorbsbuster

Body List next to header or footer

ericjlindholm

Title

Body List next to header or footer

Is there anyway to get a body list to display next to a header/footer?  I have a list of events that i would like to display in a list on the left and the details for the selected record on the right.  I know its possible with a portal but I cannot create a portal related to the same table as my list.  

• 1. Re: Body List next to header or footer
          Sorbsbuster

"I cannot create a portal related to the same table as my list" - why not?

• 2. Re: Body List next to header or footer
            ericjlindholm

Im sorry I worded that wrong.  I mean I can not put a portal for my events table on my events layout.  Selecting the same table as the one you are viewing is not an option.

• 3. Re: Body List next to header or footer
              Sorbsbuster

You cannot have a portal to the same Table Occurance, but you certainly can to the same Table.

Do you want to see a list of all (or a sub-set of) Events by name on the left say, and when you click on one you see the details of that event on the right?  Clicking another one on the list will then show the details of it?

• 4. Re: Body List next to header or footer
                ericjlindholm

yea that is exactly what i want.  How should I relate my table occuraces so that it will show all the records?

• 5. Re: Body List next to header or footer
                  Sorbsbuster

Have a Self-Join of Events to Events, using a Cartesian Join (the 'X' - matches everything).  That is the basis for a portal that shows every Event.  (Though if you're using FM11 or 12 you might want to add a filter to that if the number of events gets too long.)

Create another global field, 'gEventIDToView', as type number.

Create another Self-Join with gEventIDToView = EventID

Using that relationship set the fields on the right side of the form.

Create a script that is:
                       Set Field [ gEventIDToView ; ThatSecondTableOccurance::EventID ]

Attach that script to the fields in the portal that lists all of the Events.  Now when you click on the row you want it will set the global field and display the details of that Event.

You might want to add conditional formatting to the fields of that portal so that if the row's EventID = gEventIDToView then they are filled with yellow, say.  That way as you scroll the list you will be alerted to which one you are currently viewing.

If the portal does not refresh cleanly for you as you change the Event selected  there are ways to force it to refresh quite nicely.