6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 5:04 PM by anode505

Book for relationship aspects

anode505

Title

Book for relationship aspects

I'm cool with  single table/DB.  But having trouble wrapping my head around the mechanics of the relationship aspects.

(like every relationship I create is a many2many acording to the crows feet.)

Anyone recommend a good book that explains this part well?

(or a Raleigh, NC area consultant got a couple hours to help me out?)

• 1. Re: Book for relationship aspects
          davidanders

Many to Many often requires a table inbetween connecting the relationships..

Posting your questionable relationships may be the quickest way to enlightenment.

A Google "filemaker many to many"

http://www.google.com/search?q=filemaker+many+to+many 

• 2. Re: Book for relationship aspects
            anode505

Safe to say thats the 'join table' I've recently seen?

Background:  I got FMP 9 dabbled, got FMP10 Advanced ( the upgrade price made the jump from Pro to advanced inticing, over just an pgrade, and the standalone option is a big plus for me)

I'm biting off a HUGE chunk.  Bigger then I can chew (but we learn better from our mistakes and struggles) 

I'm self empoloyed  (and have associates I work with)  and fix capital machinery.   So....

I can have a single customer with multiple locations.

I can have a single customer with multiple machines. 

And even a combo of the above. (the add in the multiple contacts at an address and differnet buildings at a locaton)

I think I got my tables set up well. (time and trials will tell.  I'm giving the dev time until end of 2010.  I want to go online on Jan1, 2011 for Everything, customer data, machine data, AP/AR, etc.  Realistic time frame?) 

Things are looking to work OK currently. (single DB with multiple tables; remember I'm old school with DBs, used to single table/DB.  Had tried multiple DBs of single tables and not great results) 

One issue I'm having is, I created a button for a new service report (runs a script that creates a new record with a new serial number, inserts the current date, and all works well , except that the service report number field doesnt 'visually' update.  The date does no prob.  If I go back a record and then forward it looks right.  but not right afer the button click (date filed shows the updated info, but not the SR#, though the SR# does contain alpha, not just numerical data)

(did that make sense?)  And thanks for your help! 

• 3. Re: Book for relationship aspects
              comment_1

IIUC, a machine belongs to one customer, and can be found at one location - so that's still a one-to-many relationship.

Crow's feet do not necessarily indicate an actual many-to-many relationship. They do point out a problem with the matchfields used for the relationship. You should be using a field with auto-entered serial number on the parent side. I guess that would also solve your refeshing issue.

BTW, what is "capital machinery"? If you have machines that produce capital, I want one too...

• 4. Re: Book for relationship aspects
                anode505

Capitol, as in a minumum for a new machine cost of $500K (US).  (though in the hands of a marginally compenant person its has been basically a machine that prints money.  ie:  if you don't make money, you are doing something *seriously* wrong/  But MFG in the USA is kinda down.)

I gotta look into that auto-enter field part. And where its being generated.

(anyway to make a standalone look like a real app?  ie: like any other app on the OS.  All seem to have that FM look with the menu bar at the top and such.) 

• 5. Re: Book for relationship aspects
                  davidanders

(anyway to make a standalone look like a real app?  ie: like any other app on the OS.  All seem to have that FM look with the menu bar at the top and such.)

Why would it matter? Most apps have a menu at the top. Custom Menus is an option with FMP Adv.

If you want a whizzy off-beat interface, maybe investigate ReaBasic? 

• 6. Re: Book for relationship aspects
                    anode505

I have RB.  And don't think/looking for off beat IF, more tradtional app and not FM look.

The 'view as' drop down is not obvious enough.  And rather lead a person around with buttons; seems more natural.

(worked at a place that had an Access DB that looked like a normal app.  Though it ran lke junk.  *never* use an apostrophe in a text feild or it would crash.)