AnsweredAssumed Answered

book production schedule

Question asked by storywizard on Jun 15, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 by storywizard

Title

book production schedule

Hello all:

I am making a new layout to a database that I have been developing for my university. The database tracks the production of a book from our receiving it through the production process into digital audio or electronic text format untill the student receives the completed text. Up til now we have used an excel spreadsheet to track the production but would like to have someway in Filemaker of tracking the data.

A collegue who has to use the data has come up with two mock ups of what he would like. We use a 15 week semester lay out with the parts of the text that are due that week in sequence.

There are a number of questions that arise for me as a relatively new user of FM, I will start with the easy one and then get into calculations questions later.

Firstly: I had played around with a portal that laid out the 15 weeks but I did not like they way it worked and was not at all sure if I could get the required data in any report that might be asked for. Then I decided to try a layout with 15 fields in it, one for each week plus each week has a PartName, DueDate, StartDate..etc. I found this very clumsey and obviously not what an experienced programmer would do...:-)

I have attached a link to a word document that has the mock up on it. The first one is for a data entry layout that will have a calculation to fill in the Status field at the far right. What would be an elegant way of setting this up so that I could then have another layout with portals on it showing the progress of each week, as in the second example?

I hope I have given enough information and that it is clear what I am trying to do

Storywizard

Outcomes