9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 8:51 AM by philmodjunk

bound solution using USB file doesn't work

janslort

Title

bound solution using USB file doesn't work

I have created a multi file solution with 8 files using FM11 Adv. Pro.  I have some sensative data which I have in a "related" file on a USB memory stick appearing in portals in by database. When I tested it, before I bound it, it ran beautifully, reporting "file not found" If the stick wasn't in the port.  Perfect, just what I wanted; no data showed in the portal windows.  I then would quit, plug in the stick and restarted FM, entered the revisions to my sensative data, and or did my Internet task with it, and quit again.  This protected my sensative data from both internal and external compromise.

I bound the files WITH my USB stick inserted, and with my other files into my solution.  When I run my solution, it gives me a message "File not found", it then shows a window which shows the file on the memory stick, with my file in it.  Clicking on it I get "file can't be opened because it is not part of the solution".

What can I do to work this problem out?

Jan Slort

• 1. Re: bound solution using USB file doesn't work
          philmodjunk

Make sure to select the files on the USB stick as well as the main database file when binding your solution.

And be aware that sometimes the drive letter that your system (if using windows) assigns to the USB stick may change and this will break existing filepaths to files on it.

• 2. Re: bound solution using USB file doesn't work
            janslort

Phil:

I have made sure that the file on my memory stick is properly added and shows in the list with the other files which reside on my hard drive.  I have not turned my machine off after the Binding.  I only close FM and go to the folder that I have designated for my solution files, click on the FM folder with the arrow.  It opens all the files except my Memory stick file and reports filenmot found . . . . can't open because it's "not part of my solution".  What can I look at, or check.  No change of drive number, or change of anything since I bound it.  What a mysterie.

Jan

• 3. Re: bound solution using USB file doesn't work
              janslort

Phil:

I just found part of the answer:  When FM says it cant find trhe file, it opens the window with the memory stick in it. That's where the .FM7 file lives. I then highlight it and get the report that it's not part of the solution.  That's because I'm not going to the runtime file where the file that IS part of the solution now resides.  I'm trying to open the ,FM7 file. So that part of the question is solved.  The question remainingf now is, why is it unable to find it in the first place?

Jan

• 4. Re: bound solution using USB file doesn't work
                janslort

Phil:

Sorry I sent the answer back before you spent more time on it.  The more important issue is that the reason I have the data on a removable memory stick is because I want my clients to keep their secret data secure till he is either adding to it, or actually transmitting the data to the Bank. or wherever, over a secury connection and then removing it till its needed again.  Could they creat a removable file on their system and not have it be an on-line part of their bound data?

• 5. Re: bound solution using USB file doesn't work
                  philmodjunk

The file has to exist, but the senstive data within it need not. The script could delete the records.

The binding process is copying the bound file into your solution folder. I think you could get this file back out on the memory stick and working if you did two things after binding:

1.           Move the "bound" file from the run time solution folder back to the USB stick.
                  3.           Open the main file with FileMaker Advanced, not as a runtime and update the external data source reference to refer to the file on the memory stick instead of in the solution folder.
                  • 6. Re: bound solution using USB file doesn't work
                    janslort

Phil:

Great answer.!!  It works as well with a script to export the  file contents as a CSV file to a USB stick, then blank out the data from the fields I care about with a SetField script step.  After I remove the Stick, I'm secure again.  Import it back in from the stick whenever I want to reuse the data.

Thanks

Jan

• 7. Re: bound solution using USB file doesn't work
                      philmodjunk

If you used the Merge File option for export, you can use the "matching field names" option to re-import the data--a bit safer way to make sure that the data gets back into the correct fields.

• 8. Re: bound solution using USB file doesn't work
                        janslort

Phil:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I found that a CSV file didn't let me match fields coming back in, so I switched to excel spreadsheet format.  That alolwed me to match fields for the return import.  I guess the merge file (.mer) option  would let me do the same thing.  BTW, I changed the USB drive letter to Z in my computer management settings since I won't know what my clients drive letters might be.  I will instreuct them to do the same so all the file references and file names will all be correct.  To avoid mistakes, I will send each client a pre-configured memory stick.

Jan

• 9. Re: bound solution using USB file doesn't work
                          philmodjunk

There can be issues with floating point values when you use Excel so Merge may be a better option for you if you have decimal values in your data.