8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2014 8:14 AM by philmodjunk

Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop

ynot.nodrof

Title

Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop

Just for a quick test I bound a small DB (Filemaker 13 advanced which I just purchased at great expense!!) and uploaded it to a remote computer.  The solution will not start with the message.. " The procedure entry point TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the DLL KERNEL32.dll" 

The FM13 solution does work ok on another computer that does not have filemaker installed.

I have not encountered this problem previously with  FM8 solution in use on the same remote for years.

Anybody any ideas please

Tony

• 1. Re: Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop
          TKnTexas

Did you copy the complete FOLDER for the bound solution?  That would be the only think I can think of.   You bound on Windows for use on Windows?  

• 2. Re: Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop
            RickWhitelaw

I stand to be corrected, but a runtime solution cannot be networked or shared over a network.

• 3. Re: Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop
              TKnTexas

I created a solution to assist then end of day process of closing AP and to process some of the information from the check run.  There were three of us in the department trained to do the end of day, and the check run.  The runtime folder was on a network drive.  Usually I was the end of day closer, but if I was out or needed to leave early, the other person did the close.  

The runtime was accessed from the network drive.  There was no attempt to share it beyond it being on the network drive.  When I left the company it was in operation for 3 years.  

• 4. Re: Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop
                RickWhitelaw

TKN,

I stand corrected!

• 5. Re: Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop
                  schamblee

A file on a network drive is not sharing.  The reason you should not put a FileMaker database on a network drive is because you can not control multiple users from opening the database at the same time (which is sharing) and FileMaker databases being opened by multiple users in this manner can / will lead to file corruption. 

The database should be put on a local drive with FileMaker or FileMaker Server opening the file and then using open remote from the remote computer or ios device.

• 6. Re: Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop
                    TKnTexas

That could be a problem.  However, in our case, the purpose of the file was the end of day close of AP and check writing.  Only one of the three people knew those tasks in the AP system.  Only those people knew of the FileMaker Pro application.  No one else knew of its existence.  And, there was no reason for the file to be accessed during the course of the day.  

Knowing particulars of how the file would be used, I took some liberties.  Things I would not advise others to do.  

• 7. Re: Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop
                      ynot.nodrof

In answer to all your kind responses ...

1. yes I uploaded the complete folder for the solution.

2. I have been running a FMPA 8 bound solution the same way for a long time so the remote/network is not an issue (or shouldn't be!

3. It is my remote desktop and no one else has access.

The issue seems to be that the FMPA 13 solution on opening is looking for a script (TryAcquireSRW Lock Exclusive) in the windows KERNEL32.dll on the remote desktop .. the FMPA 8 solution does not seem to need this and so my question is how can I circumvent this from within the FMPA 13 solution???

thanks for your comments

Tony

• 8. Re: Bound solution won't open on remote Desktop
                        philmodjunk

I assume that you would get the same error if you sat in front of the machine and ran the same runtime. I think you have a damaged or missing file. I'd put a new copy of runtime and runtime folder on that machine (after first testing the copy on a machine local to you).

If the problem persists, I'd report this as a possible bug over in Report an Issue. There were previous issues like this with older versions of FileMaker so maybe an old bug has risen from the grave with the latest release if the runtime is launched on a W8 machine.