6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 3:53 PM by TSGal

Bug report - new script workspace

dburnham

Title

Bug report - new script workspace

When viewing scripts in the new Script Workspace, the folders, when closed (disclosure arrow pointing east) do not indicate the existence of any scripts contained in those folders which are "checked" to be shown in the Scripts menu.   The only way to know if there are any scripts "checked" to be visible in the Scripts menu is to open each script folder to examine its contents.

The common way to inform users of the existence of some checked items with in a folder is with a "-" (minus) symbol instead of a checkmark.  In this case, that may not be enough because the folder itself carries a checkmark.  

Therefore, I suggest the use of colored checkmarks to indicate the following conditions:

• The folder and all its script contents are visible in the scripts menu
      •      
      • The folder and some (one or more) of its script contents are visible in the scripts menu

Let me also add that the checkmark for showing or hiding the folder itself in the Scripts menu is debatable.  Arguably, there is no reason to show a folder in the Scripts menu if none of its contents are visible, and conversely, if one or more of its contents are visible in the Scripts menu, the folder should be shown too, but not given a keystroke number.

( if there is a way to report things like this via the FileMaker web site, I have not found it.  Clicking "Report Product Issues" is a link to the discussions, which does not inspire confidence that engineers will see it, or at least suggest the proper place in discussions where it will be seen.  If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me.)

ScreenSnapz001.png

• 1. Re: Bug report - new script workspace
          philmodjunk

Bug reports should be posted to Report an Issue rather than here. See tabs at top of this screen. There are TS personnel that work for FileMaker and who monitor that section of the forum for bug reports.

• 2. Re: Bug report - new script workspace
            dburnham

Let me assure you that, following the instructions given by FileMaker tech support, I did in fact use the tab called "Report an Issue".  Then, after perusing the list of existing issues, I clicked the link called "New Issue Report" and wrote the message you see above.

I honestly want to follow whatever directions are given to me to insure that the reporting of bigs like this gets the attention of the TS personnel and software engineers.

When you click "report a bug" on the page that opens from FIleMaker's  Help menu, it redirects you to the Forums home page and it is not quite clear what to do thereafter.  But when I asked was told about the "Report an Issue" tab, I did use it.

• 3. Re: Bug report - new script workspace
              philmodjunk

Just making sure.

People new to the forum frequently "get lost" and post to the wrong section. This isn't a major issue usually, but if you post a bug report here, you risk having your report not seen by the FileMaker people who need to see it. In similar fashion, if they post a request for help in Report an Issue, they limit the potential audience for their request to a much smaller number of people and thus might not get the help they need or may have to wait longer for an answer than if they had correctly posted in the right place.

• 4. Re: Bug report - new script workspace
                TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

I generally do not view posts on this board, so in the future, select the board "Report an Issue" or "Product Feedback".

I have submitted your request to our Product Management and Development departments for consideration in a future release.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Bug report - new script workspace
                  philmodjunk

Let me assure you that, following the instructions given by FileMaker tech support, I did in fact use the tab called "Report an Issue".  Then, after perusing the list of existing issues, I clicked the link called "New Issue Report" and wrote the message you see above.

Sorry, but this did not happen. There is no such report over in Report An Issue. And clicking that link opens up a form that generates a different post than I see here as you are presented with a number of questions to answer to help document a possible bug report. The problem is that the screen looks nearly identical whether you are in Report an Issue or some other part of this forum so it's easy to post into the wrong section by mistake.

• 6. Re: Bug report - new script workspace
                    TSGal

Dennis Burnham:

Testing pointed out that the checkmark next to the folder is to control whether the folder itself is shown in the menu.  Your proposal has been logged as a feature request.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.