AnsweredAssumed Answered

Bug? Join Table and Portal - how to add extra related records in the portal?

Question asked by daveslc on Jan 18, 2010
Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 by Heatherrd

Title

Bug? Join Table and Portal - how to add extra related records in the portal?

I have three tables:

Events, Contacts, and the join table EventContacts

In the relationship graph with:

Contacts and EventContacts 

allow creation and don't allow creation [of new records]

Events and EventContacts

don't allow creation and allow creation  

[that is, in ht event layout, I want to be able to create contacts or add them to the event; but in the contact layout I don't want to be able to create events] 

In the layout for Events, I have a portal to both Contacts and EventContacts.

I want users to be able to enter (or associate existing) contacts into the portal and have the contact_id field as a popup menu.

So far so good, but when I enter an existing value into the contact_id field in the portal, and click out of the portal, the first record is populated by the proper info, but a new record is also created with just the contact_id field filled in (and when I go to the related record in Contacts, a new blank record has indeed been created.

a. The problem  seems to be that when a new portal row (contact record) is associated (using a value list) with the current event record, that in turn creates a new record in the EventContacts table, which in turn creates a new blank record in the Contacts table.

b. If I turn off the 'allow creation of records' in the Contacts table, I can no longer enter enter or associate records through the Contacts portal, but have to do this in the join table (which has no way to create a new contact record).

Not sure what to do to at this point.

thanks,

Dave

Outcomes