1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 8:33 AM by philmodjunk

Build a report from multiple records

B_1

Title

Build a report from multiple records

So I want to build a report to correspond with multiple records information. I know that I will also need to constrain the set to omit certain records from each  found set. 

Collection Info --> parent 

Trap Info --> child

Test Info --> grandchild 

I need to make a report with the Test Info sets from multiple trap info records.

So there may be 10 or more Test Info records under each Trap Info record.

After doing so and compiling the report I would export it to Excel to be able to send a copy to the lab that does the testing for me. Then I would want the report to clear itself out after the export. so that the next time I make a report it is completely different and blank to begin with. 

Any ideas on how to make all that happen ? 

• 1. Re: Build a report from multiple records
          philmodjunk

Collection----<Trap----<Test   (----< means one to many)

The most flexible approach for producing such a report is to base your layout on Test. With the layout based on Test, You can include fields from Trap and Collection on this layout and they should display the correct information from the Parent and Child tables on this Grandchild based layout.

One approach is to put fields from Collection into Header, Footer and Grand Summary layout parts. Put fields from Trap into sub summary layout parts when sorted by TrapID or some other field that uniquely identifies each trap record. Fields from Test would normally be put in the body layout part.

Then you use Go to Related Records, Perform Find and Constrain Found set as needed to pull up the Test records that you want and sort them by the "when sorted by" Field(s) specified in any sub summary layout parts to group your test records to make the sub summary layout parts visible.

Here's an old tutorial on summary reports that is still valid: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

Please note that this is not the only report option possible and the format of the Excel file that you need to produce via Export Records will put it's own set of constraints on what options work best for your report.