1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 15, 2013 3:21 PM by philmodjunk

Building a project management database, need some table/relationship help

CurtisJorritsma

Title

Building a project management database, need some table/relationship help

I have not built a database in about 10 years (and I used MS Access) but the need has presented itself. I need to create a database that tracks multiple construction projects and the costs and budgets associated with each. The databse will track what money is available, what has been committed to the project, and what has been spent on the project to date.

I have always had trouble with setting up the tables/relationships and complicating things that don't need to be complicated. So I make a cheatsheet of what I am trying to do and have attached that. I listed at the bottom the tables and fields I am planning to setup.

I am just looking to have someone help me figure the best way to make these tables relate to eachother.

I should be able to setup the form and do all of the calculations (i think).

Any help and/or ideas are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-C

Purpose.jpg

• 1. Re: Building a project management database, need some table/relationship help
          philmodjunk

I would put consultants and contractors in the same table. Note that the fields you have listed for the tables and the tables to which you will link them are the same. Just add one more field to use to identify a given record as either consultant or contractor.

Agreements seems tailor made to serve as a join table between a project and a consultant or contractor:

Projects----<Agreements>----Contractors|Consultants

Projects::__pkProjectID = Agreements::_fkPRojectID
               Contracters|Consultants::__pkConID = Agreements::_fkConID

This allows you to link multiple contractors and consultants to a single project and yet a given contractor or consultant can be linked to many projects.

And if you need to itemize the billing details on your invoices, you should add a related table of Lineitems so that you can build such an itemized list.