1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 10:46 AM by philmodjunk

Building a Searchable Userfriendly Database?! Need Help!

Janderse

Title

Building a Searchable Userfriendly Database?! Need Help!

I have recently acquired Filemaker Pro in hopes of building a searchable database for the company. I have never worked with the program and have no scripting experience.
      I need to build a database from scratch that resembles a search engine. It needs to be user friendly so that everyone in the company can get around it easily. I need the main page to have a search option but I also need icons showing the different categories they can click on to get the information.

The database will be all of the companies information from all of the past RFI's we have done in the past five years. What is the best way to do this? Is there a template I can use or am I better on making it from scratch? Any help would be great!

Thank-you!

• 1. Re: Building a Searchable Userfriendly Database?! Need Help!
          philmodjunk

Are you prepared to spend some time learning about Relational Databases and how FileMaker works?

There are books and tutorials available on the subject. Without them, this will be  steep hill for you to climb. We'll be glad to answer questions here, but that's no substitute for spending time getting a basic knowledge of how to do things with FileMaker.

There is a Contact Manager Starter solution that comes with FileMaker you can evaluate.

Given your inexperience, you may find that an off the shelf Contact Resource Manager created in FileMaker or other software will be a better option.