3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 1:11 AM by Sorbsbuster

Bulk Email List

AndrewFish

Title

Bulk Email List

Hi,

I am trying to look at a work-around for sending bulk emails though outlook (by bulk I mean an email with multiple email addresses in the "To:" field e.g. afish@gmail.com; tomjones@hotmail.com; jamesbrown@gmail.com etc. What I am wanting to do is create an email list based on a found set of customers. I tried using a global field "email_list" with the loop SS and set field SS, but it obviously overides the previous email address each time thus not creating a list. I know there is a List function, but I'm unsure how to use this in conjuction with a found set. Some help would be appreciated :)

The main reason for me taking this approach is that I don't wan't to have to click the "Allow" error msg that pops up in outlook 400 times. I am sending the same email with same attachment to 400 odd contacts so there is no need to create a seperate email for each. I am wanting to add the capability to send personalised bulk emails to my solution in the future, but for now a bulk email list will be fine.

Cheers!

• 1. Re: Bulk Email List
          Sorbsbuster

Your loop script will work.  You are presumably looping and setting the '$MailAddress' variable to be the mail address of the next record.  Set it to be:

$MailAddress = $MailAddress & ";" & MailAddress [of this record]

In other words, build it up as itself, with the next record's mail address appended on the end (with an appropriate mail address separator in between).

• 2. Re: Bulk Email List
            AndrewFish

Hi,

thanks for your help!

I have done as you said and it does create a list of email addresses  in the global field but when in comes to executing the send mail script  it doesn't work. I have tried setting the "To" field in the "send mail" ss with a variable and  have also set it to the global field, but either way it just opens up entourage  without creating an email (I have purposely not set the "send mail" ss to perform without dialog so that it gives me the oportunity to edit the email before sending). I'm wondering if there is an issue with using  global fields and the send mail script step??

Cheers!

I would attach a screen shot of the script i wrote but there is no way (that I can see) of adding an attachement at this point.

• 3. Re: Bulk Email List
              Sorbsbuster

Let's go back a step - did the email work the way you wanted it to under your original set-up?  If you only had one record in the found set then your original loop would only have generated one address anyway.

If that didn't work, you may as well get the emailing working with one address from a stored field.  Then move on to making it work with the same address address typed into a global field.  Then move on to several addresses typed into a global field.  Then move on to generating the global filed with the looping script.

No point in worrying over the latter parts of that if it doesn't work for the former steps.