3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 3:29 PM by philmodjunk

Business Productivity Kit - Am I missing something?

BigMoe

Title

Business Productivity Kit - Am I missing something?

Want to use the new Business Productivity Kit but noticed that the solution uses 6 different databases. I thought that with the new post 7 versions all the databases would be included in one database as tables.  Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Business Productivity Kit - Am I missing something?
          philmodjunk
             There are advantages and disadvantages to merging all your tables into a single file. Designers have the option of taking either approach.
          • 2. Re: Business Productivity Kit - Am I missing something?
            BigMoe
               Can you please elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks
            • 3. Re: Business Productivity Kit - Am I missing something?
              philmodjunk

Advantages to all in one file solutions:

Filemaker's accounts and privileges are much easier to manage. With multiple files, you have to set up identical accounts and passwords in each file if you don't want the password log in to popup everytime a user action triggers the opening of another file in the system.

It's harder to "break" a solution by changing the file's name and/or location.

THere's a limit as to how many filemaker files you can have open at one time and you don't encounter that limit if you have one or just a few files to your solution.

Advantages to multifile solutions

If an update is released, only the affected files need be distributed and imports performed. With a data-separation approach, interface updates do not require any data imports. With large files storing 100,000 records or more, this can be a major reason for taking this approach.

Developers can "mix and match" different files as the starting point for developing a solution customized to the needs of a specific user.