5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 10:40 AM by philmodjunk

Button Help

anicolais

Title

Button Help

How do you make it so a button will go to a different layout for every different contact. I have a contact i want to hit the button and go to the notes layout that relates to him. Then i have another contact on the same page i need a button that will then go to a notes layout for him. and so on....

• 1. Re: Button Help
          raybaudi

Hi

assuming that you have related tables, use the Go to Relared Record ( GTRR ) script step.

• 2. Re: Button Help
            anicolais
               What do you enter then? I have my contact connected to my contact. In both layouts with a relation then when i use that script step it only allows me to connect it to the same layou. for example the account layout will only let me connect the script step to the account layout????
            • 3. Re: Button Help
              TSGal

anicolais:

The reply from "raybaudi" is correct.  Assuming your Notes information is in a different table, the Go To Related Record script step should take you to the related record in the Notes table.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Button Help
                raybaudi

TSGal wrote:

The reply from "raybaudi" is correct.  Assuming your Notes information is in a different table, the Go To Related Record script step should take you to the related record in the Notes table.

anicolais can use the same script step EVEN if he wants to go to a different layout of the same table...

Suppose that we have a layout ( Contacts ) that contains only the field "fullName" and that we can see it ONLY in List View: we can put a button with the GTRR script step that will bring us to the Notes layout ( instead of using the step Go to Layout [ Notes ] ).

The GTRR script step is more flexible and let us choose even if we need to isolate that record.

• 5. Re: Button Help
                  philmodjunk
                     Just be careful to check for the absence of related records. This script step fails to do what you expect if there are no related records to "go to".