4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2015 10:41 AM by amtrakpdx

Button not highlighting row

amtrakpdx

Title

Button not highlighting row

Dear Wizards,

My first nested portal is finally working!  Sort of.  I did put a button on the child line and an associated script [set field(parent::selected child; grandchild, pk_id)].  I set up a conditional format which turns the child line a bright yellow BUT that only happens when I select any child field, touch the background of the row but NOT when I select the child-line button (which otherwise works great).  What needs to be done to make the row change color with just the button push?

TIA

• 1. Re: Button not highlighting row
          philmodjunk

Sorry, but nested portals are not possible in any current version of FileMaker. I think that you are setting up Need layout solution for nested portals... portals where two separate (not nested) portals are set up side by side. Clicking a portal row in the Master portal updates a relationship to show the associated detail records in the detail portal. That sound right?

When a screen fails to update until you click a blank area of the layout you have a situation where your layout is not updating until whatever change to your data is committed by a commit records event. There is a script step for committing records that you can include in your script to get things to update without needing to click a layout background.

• 2. Re: Button not highlighting row
            amtrakpdx

You're right, it's from your 12/18/2012 reply to a question.
            The screen doesn't fail to update, it's working fine.  The grandchild portal updates perfectly when I click the button on the associated row of the child portal its just that that action doesn't cause a reformatting of the selected child row.  Only touching the fields or background causes the reformatting.  I want the row to reformat with the button push.

• 3. Re: Button not highlighting row
              philmodjunk

Like I said, sounds like you need a commit records step.

• 4. Re: Button not highlighting row
                amtrakpdx

I've had the Commit records step in the whole time between 'Set Field' and 'Exit Script' (see image).  Interestingly, the format (yellow background) does show as long as I have the button 'held'.  As soon as I let off the trackpad the formatting goes away.  And like I said the rest of the functionality i.e. picking the right set of records for the grandchild portal is working well.
                (First time sending an image, hope it comes through...)