14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 10:44 AM by cmspe

Button problem after upgrade

cmspe

Title

Button problem after upgrade

I just upgraded to FileMaker Pro 11, but now two buttons don't seem to work, even though another button is.  It works fine when I use a computer with 10, but not on the computer with 11.  The button "exit application" works, but two buttons "go to related record" do not.  I have a portal with buttons "go to related record" and they work as well.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Button problem after upgrade
          philmodjunk

There should be no difference for a button that uses Go To Related record in FileMaker 10 vs. FileMaker 11.

Be advised that in both versions, if there are no related records, nothing will happen when you click the button--which could look to the user like the button is not working.

• 2. Re: Button problem after upgrade
            cmspe

I just tried the same thing on a different computer using the same program and it worked.  My computer must be having issues.  I'm going to try restarting the computer and see if that works.

• 3. Re: Button problem after upgrade
              philmodjunk

Careful it may not be the change in computers. This is an issue where your button will "work" from one record and not from the next if the first record has related records and the second does not.

• 4. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                cmspe

I have used three different computers all using the same program, all on the same record and it works for the other two, but not mine.  I have restarted my computer and it still does not work.  The only other thing I can think of is my computer is the one hosting the program for the other computers to use.  I don't think that should matter.

• 5. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                  philmodjunk

It;s not impossible to get different behavior on the host computer from that of a client, but the scenarios I can imagine would not result in something that worked in FileMaker 10, and then fails in version 11.

Please describe your set up in greater detail.

Describe the relationship.

Please list the exact options specified in the Go To Related Records step.

Is the button inside a portal to the related table?

Are there any fields with global storage specified that are part of this relationship? (Global fields can produce different behavior for the host as opposed to client computers.)

If the button is inside a portal to the related table, does the relationship for the portal enable adding new records directly into the portal?

If the button is not in a portal, can you add a portal to the related table as a temporary check? And confirm that the button does not work when the portal shows related records?

• 6. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                    cmspe

The layout used table "Teachers".  The portal in the layout use table "Students".  There are two pop-ups in the layout, but not in the portal.  The pop-ups use global fields, one that has each teacher and the other each period.  When both pop-ups are selected, the portals populate with that particular class.  This works just fine.  The buttons are almost identical in script with one exception, the layout being used.  Here are the "Go to Related Record" options:

Get related record from: "Teachers"

Show record using layout: "BMI"

Result Options:

Show in new window, check

Show only related records, check

Match current record only, check

I hope this helps.

• 7. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                      philmodjunk

Sorry, but that still leaves me with more questions:

You have this relationship for your portal?

Teachers::anyfield X Students::anyfield

There are two pop-ups in the layout, but not in the portal.  The pop-ups use global fields, one that has each teacher and the other each period.  When both pop-ups are selected, the portals populate with that particular class

Different people use "pop up" to describe different things. I'm guessing here that you pop up a new window using go to related records? One to produce a selection list of teachers and the other produces a selection list of periods? And scripts on the popped up windows put values into the global field to control the portal filter?

The buttons are almost identical in script with one exception, the layout being used.

By "layout used" do you mean the one difference is the "Show Record using layout" parameter is the one thing different?

Does the layout with the portal on the layouts specified for the new windows all specify the exact same text in "Show Records From" when you check layout setup?

If I've got this figured out, your layout specifies the same table occurrence as your Go To Related Records step. Usually, a GTRR step specifies a table occurrence that is related to the layout's table occurrrence as this is what GTRR was designed for, to pull up a set of records related to the current record on the layout where this step is executed.

I had to go test this on a trial layout to see what would happen if I specified the same TO for the GTRR as I had specified for the current layout. This appears to work much like opening the window, selecting the desired layout and doing a show all records. So far, I'm not spotting anything that would create different behavior for the host computer when compared to doing this on a client machine.

One final question that I should have asked at the very beginning: "How does this fail for you on the host computer?" No window pops up, the window pops up but there are no records or the wrong records? Do you see an error message?

• 8. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                        cmspe

When I said pop-ups, I meant using a Pop-up menu that is populated by a value list.  The value list uses values from field: Teachers::TeacherID and Teachers::Last_Name".  The value list for the period pop-up menu uses values from field: StudentsbyTeacher::Period.  The relationship for the portal is Teachers::gTeacherID=Students::TeacherID and Teachers::gPeriod=Students::Period.  By "layout used" do you mean the one difference is the "Show Record using layout" parameter is the one thing different?  Correct on this question. Does the layout with the portal on the layouts specified for the new windows all specify the exact same text in "Show Records From" when you check layout setup? Not sure I understand this question fully.  I've included a picture of the layout.  The buttons "Register" and "BMI" are the two that do not work.  They are the ones that take me to layouts "Register" and "BMI".

• 9. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                          philmodjunk

Thanks for clarifying the relationship:

Teachers::gTeacherID=Students::TeacherID and
                          Teachers::gPeriod=Students::Period.

This is a filtered relationship that functions much like the portal filter I was guessing that you had. I should have remembered that this is still a FileMaker 10 design where portal filters do not exist.

Let's start with a key question you have not yet answered: "How does this fail for you?" Do you get nothing, an empty window, a window with the wrong records or ???

Does the layout with the portal on the layouts specified for the new windows all specify the exact same text in "Show Records From" when you check layout setup?

I need the answer to that question. Here's how to answer it:

Enter layout mode, select layout setup.... This brings up a screen where you have a drop down list labeled "show Records from". Note the exact name (every letter is critical) displayed in this drop down. Do this for the BMI, Register and the above layouts and let me know what you find.

• 10. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                            cmspe

This fails me only in that the two buttons do absolutely nothing except blink the negative color of itself.  Nothing else happens.  The Exit button does quit the application, but the other two buttons don't work.  The portals do populate as they are supposed to. I can click on the "Info" button next to each student and that works.  Everything else on the layout works fine.

I just checked the text in "Show Records From" in each layout and they are exactly the same down to the last letter.

Does Filemaker 11 have portal filters?  I just upgraded about a week ago and don't know all the updates or new features.

• 11. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                              philmodjunk

What you describe is typical if there are no related records to "go to" but you are using this script step in an unusual manner, by specifying the same table occurence for your destination as your layout. That should work, however. I've run some tests on a file here and GTRR from layout A to Layout B with both layouts and the GTRR step all specifying the same table works, pulling up the same found set, sort order and current record as the current layout--a potentially useful trick that I was not aware of.

Let's dig a little deeper yet. We are at the point of ruling out some pretty unlikely details...

I can reproduce the "flash but no window" result if the current found set for my layout has zero records. Try doing a show all records, then click the button and see if it works.

If that isn't the case, check the layouts for DMI and Register. Do they have any script triggers that will trip when the layout is first accessed? (OnRecordLoad and ONLayoutEnter will do that.)

If that all fails to explain the issue, try creating a new simple layout based on teachers and add a button that uses GTRR on it to open one of the two destination layouts in a new window and see if it works from a different layout--this is a long shot, but maybe the layout itself is damaged here.

• 12. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                                cmspe

Okay, the current found set for the layout on my computer is zero.  The other computers show 1.  I'm not sure why it was showing zero as my record was the one displaying the related records in the portals.  This leads me to another question.  Since upgrading the software, I am not able to find "Custom Menus" from the Manage submenu in the File menu.  Why isn't it there anymore.  Did that change in FileMaker 11?  I can go to the layout setup and change it to the Standard FileMaker Menus, but then some custom menus I've created are not available anymore.  Any ideas for this?

• 13. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                                  philmodjunk

No idea on the custom menus. It is FileMaker 11 Advanced and not just FileMaker 11? I find the custom menus stuff in exactly the same place for both 10 and 11 on my Windows XP box.

• 14. Re: Button problem after upgrade
                                    cmspe

I just realized that I was given an upgrade to FileMaker Pro 11, not advanced.  I have the older version, advanced, still that can make the changes.  Thank you!