3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2008 4:05 PM by davidhead

Button Script

seanhunt

Title

Button Script

I've created two layouts for an invoice table which is part of a larger relational database. One layout is for the data input named 'Invoices' and the second layout is the actual printable invoice named 'Create Invoice'. What I have been trying to do is to create a button that I could use on the first layout which allows me to search for the one invoice related to the current record. At the moment when I go into the second layout it has obviously created all the invoices for the database and I would then do a find. I was hoping to neaten the process with a button script. Is there a simple script that I could use for this?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

• 1. Re: Button Script
          TSGal

Sean:

There are a couple of ways to handle this.  Let's think of what you are trying to accomplish, and then put it into a script.

If the button is pressed, we want to take the value from an "Invoice" field, copy it to the clipboard, switch to the other layout, enter Find mode, paste from the clipboard into another Invoice field and perform the find.  Therefore, the script might look something like this:

Copy [Select; <Invoice field>]

Go to Layout ["Layout #2"]

Enter Find Mode []

Paste [Select; <related Invoice field>]

Perform Find []

You can then attach this script to a button.

Does this make sense?

Try this out, and let me know if you run into any difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Button Script
            seanhunt

TSGal,

It worked like a dream! Thank you so much!! It is a much neater method than I had managed thus far and I think I just about follow what you did.

Brilliant!

Cheers,

Sean

• 3. Re: Button Script
              davidhead

TSGal wrote:

If the button is pressed, we want to take the value from an "Invoice" field, copy it to the clipboard, switch to the other layout, enter Find mode, paste from the clipboard into another Invoice field and perform the find.  Therefore, the script might look something like this:

Copy [Select; <Invoice field>]

Enter Find Mode []

Paste [Select; <related Invoice field>]

Perform Find []

Ummm, it is generally accepted that you should not mess with a user's clipboard without their knowledge ;) Therefore you would usually do this by setting and using a variable:

Set Variable [$invoice; <Invoice Field>]

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [<related Invoice field>; $invoice]

Perform Find []

Just better programming. ;)