1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 31, 2013 6:20 AM by philmodjunk

button set up

MichaelCampbell

Title

button set up

Based on the pictures this is what I'm trying to accomplish.

Step 1 click sellers so it will go to divorce (i know how to do this)

step 2 click divorce and have that button go to a table where i can import records form an execl file.  i would import records that only affects the divorce section and not bleed into anything else.

final product

filemaker_help.png

• 1. Re: button set up
          philmodjunk

step 2 click divorce and have that button go to a table where i can import records form an excel file.

The simplest answer to that is a single script step: Go to Layout, where you specify a layout based on the table into which you want to import this data. But I am guessing that you need something more sophisticated than that.

i would import records that only affects the divorce section and not bleed into anything else.

The devil is in the details that you have not yet posted.

What is a "divorce section"? Is that a table? Or is it a specific type or record within a larger set of records in the same table?

Exactly what do you mean by "bleed into"? (I can guess, but prefer not to.)

Do you want the import to be fully automatic from the moment the user clicks the Divorce Button?

Or do you want the script to ask the user to select a file and then it imports data from that file?

Or does the Import action need to be left as a manual operation from the File menu?

Is the data in the excel file formatted/structured in a 100% consistent way? And what is that structure/format?

Depending on the design of your database and what the data looks like in your excel file, you may need to import data into table #1, process the imported data there--possibly omitting records that are not "Divorce" entries and then imports the resulting records set into the actual table where you need this "Divorce" data.