7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 9:34 AM by Jeff123

Button to create folder (Created one to choose record specific folder)

Jeff123

Title

Button to create folder (Created one to choose record specific folder)

Hi,

I don't know if this is possible but is there a way to have 2 buttons where button 1 will let you choose a folder on your hardrive to link to (but not open it) and then if you click on button 2 it will open the link on button 1.

What I would like to do is have a photos and videos sections.  If I take say 20 photos of a house I would upload them from my camera to a specific folder (for that house).  But each house would have a different folder of photos, so I would like to be able to specify which folder to use in "button 1" and then be able to open that particular folder when "button 2" is clicked. 

I do not want to use containers because, for one they are complex, and 2nd they are not visually pleasing.  Also some folders my have 30 or 40 files and others may have 5. 

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Button to create folder (Created one to choose record specific folder)
          VickyN

You need to create a container field and insert the video/photo as a reference only. 

To launch the pic/vid simply use the script step Go To Field and check the box Select/Perform!

Ta Da! 

• 2. Re: Button to create folder (Created one to choose record specific folder)
            VickyN

ok i totally didn't read the last line did i....

I think without the use of container fields you're gonna need a plugin.

In what way do you say they are complex? Or not visually pleasing? There are a number of settings you can use under Format>Graphic which can alter how you view the image/whatever in the field... 

• 3. Re: Button to create folder (Created one to choose record specific folder)
              MikeyG79
                 container fields are uncompressed (actually they make things bigger) and the more you put in, the larger and larger the file is going to become. We have 1 with only 6000 records (1 container per record) and it's 19gigs! Store a reference to the file not the file.
              • 4. Re: Button to create folder (Created one to choose record specific folder)
                Jeff123

There is a number of reasons why I am trying to do this.

1. It is visually unpleasing because the program is very complex to me, and I have not mastered it, so I can't make it "pretty" so to speak.  Sorry, I was a bit  ambiguous.

2. If I have 5 photos or something on one record and 50 on another, I don't want to have 50 containers for the record that only have 5 photos (it seems to take up unnecessary space).

3. If I have 50 files, I rather not link each of the 50 files.

I maybe missing a hugely simple feature or making this more complicated than it is. I also don't know how to set up scripts or apple scripts.  This is a way that I thought of that simplifies the uploading/inserting of files and the viewing of files.  I also like how Bento 3 has a file list mode, but I don't think that is possible in Filemaker.  I know you can shrink a container so that the icon is hidden, but if I were to do that, I would want all the info in columns, like date, format, location, etc. 

• 5. Re: Button to create folder (Created one to choose record specific folder)
                  comment_1

Jeff123 wrote:
                  If I have 5 photos or something on one record and 50 on another, I don't want to have 50 containers for the record that only have 5 photos (it seems to take up unnecessary space).

That wouldn't be necessary in any case - you should use a related table with ONE container field, and as many related records as required.

Now, the sad thing is that Filemaker will not let you choose a folder natively - you need to either use a plugin or enter the folder's path into a field manually*. Once you have the path, you can open the folder using the Open URL[] script step.

---

(*) But if you insert at least one image from a folder into a container field (as reference only), you can then extract the folder's path by calculation.

• 6. Re: Button to create folder (Created one to choose record specific folder)
                    Jeff123

This is a cut and paste job from another forum and wondering if it looks like it is feasible ( http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-43094.html ):

Part B: Creating a Reference to the Folder in Its Existing Location. Calculation Field. What To Do With One Once You've Got It.

What I think you want to do is continue to use the folder as a folder, but you want to be able to make it pop open — or you want certain files within it to pop open — when you're on a record in your FileMaker database that's "about" (i.e., related to) the same contact. 

So what you want to do, in order to accomplish that, is establish a logical connection between the folders (the one on iDisk and the one where your email is stored) and the FileMaker record.

----------

I got lost at the "make calc field" part 

Sorry, I should have given you more explicit examples. Let's say your client is named "Frederick T Jones". You have a text field in FileMaker — the "Client Name" field, let's say — and it contains the string "Frederick T Jones". On iDisk, let's say you have a folder named "Contacts" and, within Contacts, a folder for each client. In my previous example I was getting rid of spaces and periods — that's what the substitute functions do — but you don't really need to do that. You can have a folder in iDisk named "Frederick T Jones" if you want, after all! So let's assume your Client folders on iDisk are rigorously named the same way as the Client Name field is input in FileMaker Pro.

So, given "Frederick T Jones" — the Client Name field — you want to obtain the string iDisk:Contacts:Frederick T Jones, because that's the path to the client folder. Or perhaps the string folder "Frederick T Jones" of folder "Contacts" of disk "iDisk", a more useful way of saying the same thing if you wish to use AppleScript to open the folder.

Create a FileMaker calculation field, of type text. Define it like so: """" [That's four quotation marks in a row]. Name it Qmk. When you look at Qmk in browse mode you'll see that it resolves to a single quotation mark: ". That lets us easily tell FileMaker to put a literal quotation mark in the midst of other stuff, as you'll see in a minute.

Define another field. Make it a calculation field, of type "text". Give this field the name "ASClientPath".

We start with a quotation mark because we want the literal string "folder", and we use Qmk when we actually want the result to be a quotation mark:

"folder "&Qmk&Client Name&Qmk&" of folder "&Qmk&"Contacts"&Qmk&" of disk "&Qmk&"iDisk"&Qmk

See how the parts in red are literal strings and the parts in green are the contents of FileMaker fields? The result of this calculation is the combination of those things, in the order specified, joined together with the ampersands.

In FileMaker-ese, an ampersand means "and" ... not "and" in the math sense, but rather "and" in the "also" sense. 1+1 equals 2 but 1&1=11, got it? It's called "concatenation". Clumping things together. Think of an ampersand as a bit of glue. Gluing strings together to make longer strings.

Now create a third calculation field, once again of type text. Define it exactly as so and name it OpenClientFolder:

"tell the application "&Qmk&"Finder"&Qmk&"¶"&
                    "activate"&"¶"&
                    "make new Finder window to "&ASClientPath&"¶"&
                    "end tell"

(That ¶ is a literal return character. To make it, hit the option key while typing the number 7, or click the "¶" button that's available to you in the window where you compose your calculation formulas. It means that the result is supposed to actually contain a hard return right there.)

If you look at that field in browse mode, with your Frederick T Jones record as the current record, you see:

tell the application "Finder"
                    activate
                    make new Finder window to folder "Frederick T Jones" of folder "Contacts" of disk "iDisk"
                    end tell

Guess what? That's the AppleScript command for opening the correct client folder!

Create yourself a script in the ScriptMaker. One script step: Perform AppleScript. Pick the option "Calculated AppleScript" and select your field OpenClientFolder. Attach that script to a button and whenever you click it, it will open the client folder for the client whose record you're currently on.

My question is that does this work for Filemaker pro 10?  I tried it but I can't get it to work and I don't know if its because these instructions are for 7 or if I am just screwing it all up.  I am working on the local hardrive so I am not using the idisk part.  I substituted that with "Macintosh HD" etc. 

If someone can tell me if it looks like it could work or if I am wasting time playing with it would be great.

Thanks again. 

• 7. Re: Button to create folder (Created one to choose record specific folder)
                      Jeff123
                         Fixed.  Have a button to create a folder and subfolders, and have buttons to enter the main folder or the subfolders that were created.  Also the button to create a folder will not over write that folder if it is accidentally clicked at another time.