4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 4:38 PM by JoWilson

Button/Script to Look For Record in Another Table

JoWilson

Title

Button/Script to Look For Record in Another Table

(I apologize in advance for the length of this post.)

Okay, so I'm brand new to FileMaker. I just installed FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v1 last week and I've been trying my best to learn via help documentation and experimentation.

The database I'm currently building up is related to the fictional world of my epic masterpiece. When I decided to invent a fictional language for said world, I originally used MS Works Database and MS Access to create a dictionary so that I could both see/sort in table view, as well as have the layout/form view of an individual record. FileMaker is the only database app for a Mac I've found that will have all the snazzy features I want for this project.

In the FileMaker database I've created so far, I have two tables. "Dictionary" is my table for the language itself, and each record represents a word or phrase from the language; fields for the pronunciation, translation, definition, part of speech, grammatical usage, etc. The other table is called "Glossary" and its meant to serve as a glossary of terms in relation to various aspects of the overall fictional world; places, people, cultural-specific terms, etc. Some of the terms in "Glossary" are related to terms specific to unique qualities/aspects of the language; defining unique grammatical terms or alphabetic characters, etc.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO ACCOMPLISH:

In the Dictionary, I have ten fields which basically equate to terms from the Glossary. In layout view of the Dictionary, I would like to create a button next to these fields that essentially allows me to go directly to the record in the Glossary for that term.

For example:

In the Dictionary table, I have a record for a words that is an auxiliary verb; in the Parts of Speech (POS) field, I would have entered "auxiliary verb". In the Glossary table, I have a record for "auxiliary verb" as a unique term, and the data in the other fields of that record explain what an auxiliary verb is and how they are used within the unique grammar of my fictional language. While looking in the layout view of the data from the Dictionary table, I want to be able to click a button next to the POS field that directs me to the "auxiliary verb" record in the layout view of the Glossary table. 

I thought it should be a simple matter of writing a script which would be activated when I clicked the button, but I haven't had any luck in figuring out how to properly write said script. I can get it to switch to the other layout pretty easily, but what I can't do is get it to open the record I want it to open.

I'm not sure if making the tables related would help, but I tried that on a copy of the database. I still can't figure out what I need to do to make it work.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and offer any advice.