8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 9:38 AM by keycoachjohn

Buttons and Layout question

keycoachjohn

Title

Buttons and Layout question

Hi, have searched through my handy books to no avail...would appreciate your comments.

3 questions (FM10) for the board...a) How to lock a field upon exiting a record such that any change upon re-entering the record requires a new record to change? b) In a given layout with multiple tabs across the top I'd like to have a set of buttons in the left margin to advance from one tab to another; any suggestions?  Lastly, c) In this main layout there are six tabs...each has relational data pulled from across several tables;  This same layout is associated with a source table that I simply want a summary table of inventory nestled in my tidy little background.  If the source data came from another table, a portal would work excellently...Thanks, John

• 1. Re: Buttons and Layout question
          mrvodka

keycoachjohn wrote:

Hi, have searched through my handy books to no avail...would appreciate your comments.

3 questions (FM10) for the board...a) How to lock a field upon exiting a record such that any change upon re-entering the record requires a new record to change? b) In a given layout with multiple tabs across the top I'd like to have a set of buttons in the left margin to advance from one tab to another; any suggestions?  Lastly, c) In this main layout there are six tabs...each has relational data pulled from across several tables;  This same layout is associated with a source table that I simply want a summary table of inventory nestled in my tidy little background.  If the source data came from another table, a portal would work excellently...Thanks, John

a. Do a search for Record Level Access. There has been numerous posts asking the same thing that you have asked.

b. You can use Go to Object after naming each tab panel with an object name.

c. I dont understand what you want.

• 2. Re: Buttons and Layout question
            keycoachjohn

Questions a and b answered, thanks for the references.

On to the third, which wasn't explained too well I'll try again...

On a main layout, I have six tabs...each has detailed formatting.  On tabs 2-6, it's structured so someone viewing the tab will see an individual piece of inventory, and its relational data as linked.  On tab 1, using the same formatting, I'd like a spreadsheet to sit right in the middle of the body with a summary of all inventory serial numbers and some other fields.  I can create the basic summary spreadsheet with no formatted background through "View As-Table View" question pertains to dropping a summary spreadsheet in the body on a specific tab.  Thanks. 

• 3. Re: Buttons and Layout question
              mrvodka
                 Well first, FileMaker is not a spreadsheet nor does it embed spreadsheets. You may be able to use a portal to display all your inventory, but I still do not understand what you mean by summary. Do you mean just a listing of the inventory with a status? do you mean a count of it? Do you mean a total price? Usually the term summary is associated with totaling something... Please elaborate...
              • 4. Re: Buttons and Layout question
                keycoachjohn

Thanks,

I used the word spreadsheet loosely as an alternative to "table" so as to avoid confusion.

In basic layout mode, one of the "view as" alternatives presents data in "Table view".  This gathering of records is what I'd like to see atop the customized layout 

So, yes to your question about listing the inventory with a status. 

• 5. Re: Buttons and Layout question
                  mrvodka
                     Like I said earlier, you can use a portal. To display all records from the inventor table, you need to use a cartesian join ( X operator instead of the = ) in your relationship that you will use for that portal.
                  • 6. Re: Buttons and Layout question
                    keycoachjohn

So that's the rub, per the originating post a portal would work elegantly except that when defining the portal the table is not selectable...it's greyed out.  The list I'm trying to create is data from the main inventory Table, to which the layout is showing records from. This layout and all the fields throughout it have their :: addresses and portals defined.  If I change the reference table to this layout am I hosed with all the other links?  If the source records were on another table then I could try the cartesian join...

• 7. Re: Buttons and Layout question
                      mrvodka
                         You dont have to change anything to your existing setup. You do realize that you can put multiple occurrences of the same table on your graph right? All you would have to do is put another occurrence of the inventory table and do a self join using the cartesian. Your portal will then be based off of that... that is if I am correctly guessing your structure as you have not indicated what the "Main" layout is based off of. I am going to guess Inventory.
                      • 8. Re: Buttons and Layout question
                        keycoachjohn
                           Very clever, it worked like a charm.  I scoured my "missing manual" and found limited references to the cartesian join, never would have found this solution without the help; thanks.