5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 6:55 AM by TSGal

Buttons help

AppleCow

Title

Buttons help

Hi, I'm fairly new to FMP and I want to make something similar to the starter template Contact Manager where the top 3 buttons allow for easy access to the three different views. I am uncertain on how to proceed so I hope someone here can help me. I basically want it to 

1. Change color (from blue to gray and vice versa) depending on the view

2. Actually changing the view from form to list to table

Thank you. 

Johnny 

• 1. Re: Buttons help
          TSGal

AppleCow:

Thank you for your post.

With the Contacts Management database open, pull down the View menu and select Layout Mode.  This shows you how the layout was created.  If you click on one of the objects at the top (New, Edit, List view, etc.), you can then pull down the Format menu and select Button Setup...  and you will see that each of the objects are executing a script.  Some are switching to a different layout, some are adding a record, etc.  This should give you some ideas how changing views is set up by these buttons.  Especially, between form to list to table.

"Change color" can mean a number of things.  If you want the color of the layout to change, you can duplicate a layout, and put a blue or gray background.  That will allow you to switch back and forth between the layouts where the only change is the color.

Let me know if you have additional questions about the layout and/or the buttons.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Buttons help
            AppleCow

That was quick! 

I managed to get the script itself working on my own database by copying and making some small changes. Thank you for the tip regarding checking the scripts. 

What I meant by changing color is the buttons themselves. While they are "active" such as if I click on Form View, they are turn blue. Otherwise, it would be gray if I was in List View (now the List View button would be blue). I am having some trouble understanding how to get that color to change. 

What I have done so far, which I am certain is wrong, is simply copying and pasting the graphic over to my database. So while it is switching between the views, it stays blue whether it is active or not. It's not really that big of an issue, it is more for aesthetic purposes more than anything.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Johnny 

• 3. Re: Buttons help
              TSGal

Thanks for the clarification.

When you click on a button, it turns gray.

The blue is the shading added to an object/button.  In Layout Mode, you will see a number of tools on the left side of the screen.  Click the rectangle box, and draw a rectangle on the screen.  When finished, you should see four anchors on each corner of the rectangle.  That means the object is selected.

On the left side with all the tools, there is a paint can option with a color wheel below it.  Click on that color wheel, and select blue (or any color), and the fill color for that object will change.  That should get you started.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Buttons help
                AppleCow

Thank you! That was really informative. 

I have figured it out. This should be classified as solved but I was wondering if I could ask one last question regarding buttons. In the same template, I see that there are buttons to add/delete/find records. Are those buttons that are accessible or is there a folder dedicated to pre-made buttons? I have been just copying and pasting which seems to work fine, but I hope there is a simpler solution

• 5. Re: Buttons help
                  TSGal

AppleCow:

First of all, it's always okay to ask questions.  That's what we're here for...  :-)

Seriously, there is no "button" layout or template.  These were all created in FileMaker Pro and available to you.  Copying and pasting something that works for you is fine.

If you look in your FileMaker Pro folder, you will see a folder "Templates" which contains all of the sample files.  Feel free to peruse these files and copy and paste any of the graphics to use in your own database.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.