4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 1:59 PM by TheRugi

Buttons in Portals

TheRugi

Title

Buttons in Portals

Okay, I'll try to explain better this time...

FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 on Mac OS 10.6

I have a table with a portal in it listing info from a related table. Each entry in the portal has a button that's suppose to go to that particular record in the related table, but instead it goes to the first record among the related records.

For example, if the portal has records 2 through 6, and I click on record 4 in the portal, I want it to go to record 4 in the related table, but it instead goes to record 2. Every other entry in the portal goes to record 2 as well. How do I resolve this issue?

• 1. Re: Buttons in Portals
          philmodjunk

Have you changed your database structure from the last time you posted this question?

Go To Related record is a tool, that if implemented properly, will do exactly what you want. If it doesn't, the reason may be due to problems with how you've set up your tables and relationships--hence the original discusstion about whether you really need three tables to do what you want.

Original thread:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=28392&query.id=120637#M28392

For more on Go To Related Record, see:

The Complete Go To Related Record

• 2. Re: Buttons in Portals
            ninja

Howdy,

I didn't keep track of your last thread, so I'll simply start over like it's new.

Make sure the button is entirely within the portal row.

Have the button do "GoToRelatedRecord" and in the GTRR dialog define the layout you want to use to view it.

Do NOT check any of the other boxes in the GTRR dialog, just define the layout.

The layout you use should be based on the table where the target record resides.

I do this all the time...I'm quite certain that the above steps work.

• 3. Re: Buttons in Portals
              TheRugi
                 "Make sure the button is entirely within the portal row.

Have the button do "GoToRelatedRecord" and in the GTRR dialog define the layout you want to use to view it.

Do NOT check any of the other boxes in the GTRR dialog, just define the layout.

The layout you use should be based on the table where the target record resides."

Yes, this is how it is set up right now.

As for the seemingly extraneous tables, there's not much I can do about that and still fulfill my client's requests. And not really relevant to my issue, I think...

I made a test database and tried doing this and it works there, so maybe it is related to the extra tables. :smileysurprised: Sigh...

• 4. Re: Buttons in Portals
                TheRugi

OH!

So how I actually had it set up was that the portal was getting fields from two tables, not just one. But the portal can only receive info from one table, and any extra fields in it from another table is just there, and doesn't change with each entry in the portal. So I just changed the portal to take from the other table, and now it does what I want. Thanks guys!