- You have a Technician Table that shows their ID, Name, blah blah...
- If you don't have it already, add a field for the Sites they cover. Format it as a CheckBox whose Value List shows ALL sites. You'll appreciate this later when you get 1 technician to cover more than 1 site (even if it is temporarily for holiday cover), as you'll be able to tick 2 or 3 sites.
- There already is a 'SiteIDRequested' field in the Requests?
- Add a relationship from the 'Requests' to the 'Technicans' table SiteIDRequested :: SiteIDCovered
- In the Requests Table set the TechnicianID to be a lookup, using that new relationship, and grabbing the Technican ID from the Technician Table.
- The rest of the work you've done (showing Technician Name, etc) will cascade on through automatically.
Thanks so much.. that's the ticket.
Is it also possible to OVERRIDE a lookup?
Let's say we have a site that does not have a tech pre-assigned... (in this case it's the tech office; each tech just addresses an issue as he/she has time).
So I need to call up a site, then manually put in a tech's number and have his/her info show up...not a big deal and happens not too often; still it would be nice to override a lookup...
Thanks so much for your help...
That's one of the advantages of a lookup. Think of it as setting the default Technician for that site. Just go ahead and overwrite the looked-up 'default' technician with another and it will happily pull in their details instead. It's useful even if, for example, you allocate Tech001 to Site FLA, but when you see the actuall problem at FLA this time Tech003 is much better experienced to deal with it. Just enter Tech003 instead for that Request. It won't affect any others.
You can also set what you want it to do if there is no Technician assigned. In that case, I would suggest you create another Technician in your Technician Table and call them ID= MAN, and Name = 'Manager' or your name. Make the Lookup choose 'MAN' if it does not find a correct match (set it in the RHS of the Lookup for the field) then if someone from an un-allocated site raises a Request it will be assigned to you (or your 'Catch-All' person).
Doesn't seem to want to do what you've described.
If I put in a number that I've set in the tech table, all is well.
But if I try to manually enter a number for an unassociated site, I get nada.
Also, I'm not sure what RHS means? Sorry; I'm not the Filemaker program, but am very impressed with what it's let me do so far...
Thanks for your time and invaluable suggestions...
Sorry, never sure what abbreviations travel internationally. RHS: right hand side.
Can I clarify what I think is happening?
- you have allocated all 15 sites to a unique technician.
- each technician has a unique ID
- if you enter 'FLA' in the Request it is a recognised SiteID that has been allocated to Technician 001, say
- That automatically pulls across Technician ID '001' into the 'TechnicanAllocated' field, and thus populates their name, contact details, etc.
- If you want to over-ride that defaulted Technician you over-type the '001' that came across automatically with '002', and it should replace the name, contact details etc of Tech001 with those for Tech002.
2nd separate scenario (I'm not sure which one your query is about, now)
- you have allocated 15 sites to a unique technician.
- but a 16th site - 'NY' - is the one that is requesting help.
- you enter 'NY' in the SiteID and nothing comes across into the TechID field.
- you need to specify what the TechID Lookup should do if it doesn't find itself in the Lookup table.
- go back to the 'Manage Fields' screen and pick up the field definition for TechID * in the Requests Table *.
- click through to the 'Auto-enter by Lookup' that you defined earlier
- in the bottom right hand side there is an option to define what FM is to do if it finds no exact match.
- set it to be '001' (or whatever is the correct type of term for your TechID. )
- now enter a request for a site 'XYZ', and you will see that Tech001 comes up as the default technician.
- That is why I was recommending you make yourself that default person - you will be dumped with all the undefined sites to sort out. You can then go into the request and re-assign your chose technician.