1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 10:30 PM by dbail22@comcast.net

Calculating Age

dbail22@comcast.net

Title

Calculating Age

I have used a formula for a few years to calculate the age of an individual.  It has been passed around for a few years and whoever did the original calc indicated it takes into account leap years.  It has for many years but I have run across several date thats it fails and wonder if anyone has a well tested formula that works in Filemaker 13.  Mine calculates the following ages using 12/10/2013 as the current date.

For someone born on 2/28/2008 they are 5 years, 9 months, 12 days old.

For someone born on 2/29/2008 they are 5 years, 9 months, 11 days old.

For someone born on 3/1/2008 they are 5 years, 9 months, 9 days old.

Fails for 2004 and a few other dates.  Trying this on sever web sites shows the same problem and even doing it in excel using DATEDIF has the problem.  Any ideas? Did filemaker 13 change date calculations in some way?

I tried several other FM functions around that calculate age using years, months, and days and they all miss a day??

Even a post within the Filemaker Help pages that is an example of date calculation fails.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5532

David