1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 3:17 PM by philmodjunk

Calculating data for reports

AndrewClarkson

Title

Calculating data for reports

Hi,

I have created a sign-in / sign-out database for volunteers, which records the number of hours and activities completed each time they attend.

In the administration section of my database - I would like to have a reports page where I can see:

- the total number of hours completed by each volunteer for each activity between two set dates,

- the total number of hours completed by all volunteers for each activity between two set dates.

I'm not really sure how to go about doing this. The members list is in one table, the log of each sign in / sign out and activity completed is in another table, and the list of activities is in a 3rd table.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks, Andrew.

• 1. Re: Calculating data for reports
          philmodjunk

You can do all of these with summary reports based on your log table.

the total number of hours completed by each volunteer for each activity

Sort first by volunteer, then by activity. Use summary fields placed in a sub summary part "when sorted by activity" to compute the totals for each activity. The body can be removed from this layout so that you only see the sub summary totals listed. A sub summary part "when sorted by  volunteer" can be used to display the volunteer name and any related info you need from the members table.

the total number of hours completed by all volunteers for each activity

Use the same layout, but don't sort your records by volunteer. Just sort them by activity. When you don't sort by volunteer, the sorted by volunteer sub summary part drops out and you just get the totals for each activity.

Between two dates

For either of those report options, perform a find on this table to find only log records that fall on that date interval.