1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 9:21 AM by JoshuaGagnon

Calculating GPA

JoshuaGagnon

Title

Calculating GPA

Hi Everyone,

For our summer program - we have to run a report of the grades our students earn. I have it setup where each class has a field for the letter grade (PeriodXGrade) and then a calculation field that turns that letter grade into a 4.0 scale (PeriodXGradeCalculation). From there, I have a final calculation field (RawScore) that adds the 4 PeriodXGradeCalculation scores together and a SummerGPA field that divides the RawScore by 4 to get their GPA. That works great - and is not my question, but I wanted to provide context.

The issue is that the plan has changed and two of our classes will not receive a letter grade and rather a Pass/Fail designation (thus screwing up the above calculation). Is there a way you can think of to add an If/Then statement - or another method - to tell the SummerGPA field to only divide by 3 under those circumstances?

Thanks - I am open to altering the method by which I calculate the grades if there is an easier way!

• 1. Re: Calculating GPA
          philmodjunk

And how does the data in the record change when it's a pass/fail grade? Need to know that in order to discuss how to modify the calculation.

• 2. Re: Calculating GPA
            JoshuaGagnon

Hi - it doesn't, that's what I am trying to figure out. What needs to happen is if a student has one course that is a P/F that the SummerGPA field should divide the raw score by 3 (as they'll have 3 courses with grades) rather than 4 (as the P/F course would not be included for calculation of GPA).

• 3. Re: Calculating GPA
              philmodjunk

Unless you have entered some kind of data that indicates that this course grade is P/F, there is no way to do this as FileMaker Inc. has yet to add in the much requested mind reading feature. wink

Surely you have something in your database that a person, if reading the data could tell that this is a pass fail grade and not a letter grade? Such as recording different characters in place of the A, B, C, D, F grades? Or an added field that marks this course's grading policy as Pass/Fail?

• 4. Re: Calculating GPA
                schamblee

Here is a sample DB I threw together.  Maybe it will work for your needs https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sswu61h4js52vx/SampleGPA.fmp12?dl=0

This database will let you have any number of grades per student.

• 5. Re: Calculating GPA
                  JoshuaGagnon

Thanks Stacy, ill take a look!

• 6. Re: Calculating GPA
                    JoshuaGagnon

Hi Phil - Sorry for confusion. Yes - I would enter a P or F into the course grade field. That field usually calculates an A, B, C, D, F into a 4.0 scale and then tells the total of the 4 classes to divide itself by 4 to get the total GPA. I'm not sure how to tell the calculation field to divide by 3 if the one class has a P or F in it. Does that make sense?

• 7. Re: Calculating GPA
                      philmodjunk

Yes, but now you have an "F" that could be a Fail from a Pass Fail course or from a Letter Grade. If you aren't including Pass Fail courses in the GPA calculation, then you still have no way to tell the difference between a failing grade from a P/F course and a course with the standard letter grades.

• 8. Re: Calculating GPA
                        JoshuaGagnon

Right - sorry, I was envisioning that it would be listed as either "Pass" or "Fail" as to differentiate an F letter grade from a "Fail" in a Pass/Fail course.

• 9. Re: Calculating GPA
                          philmodjunk

And what exactly does that mean for the data entered into each record when you decribe it as "listed as 'Pass' or "Fail"?

Sorry, but any expression used here needs an IF or case function to handle this and we need to know exactly what value in what field can be checked in such an expression to determine whether a specific grade is for a course to be included in the GPA calcualtion or not.

And how is the data recorded in your table? Do you have one record for each grade linked to a table of students or do you have one record for each student with different fields for each grade?

• 10. Re: Calculating GPA
                            JoshuaGagnon

RIf a student has a Pass/Fail in the field for the grade (one record for each student with different fields for the 4 classes that have grades) it should essentially remove that class from the GPA equation (with my description above the letter grade in the field is translated into a 4.0 scale, then divided by 4 to get the students total GPA) - so IF the period has "pass" or "fail" rather than a letter grade it should divide by 3 rather than 4 to total the GPA.

Field Names:

PeriodXGrade = Field that houses letter grade or pass/fail (x=1,2,3,4 depending on the period of the class)

PeriodXGradeCalculation = calculation that takes whatever letter grade is listed from PeriodXGrade field and converts to a 4.0 scale

RawScore = calculation that adds the 4 PeriodXGradeCalculations together

SummerGPA = divides the RawScore by 4

• 11. Re: Calculating GPA
                              philmodjunk

Sorry, but that does not answer my question. Pretend that you are going to calculate the GPA for a given student manually and you only know what you see in the record for that student. You see an "F" recorded for a class. How, just by looking at the data in the record, do you tell that this is an "F" for a pass fail class and thus does not affect the GPA and not an F from a letter grade class that will then require this to be treated as a 0 in the GPA calculation (and you divide by one more grade than you do in the first.)

• 12. Re: Calculating GPA
                                JoshuaGagnon

Sorry I am not being clear! If it is a Pass/Fail course instead of typing just a "P" or "F" I type in "Pass" or "Fail" so to avoid confusion with the single letter grades that translate into the GPA. So, if it says Fail it would not calculate. If it says F it would go through the normal process to be converted into a 0.0 then added to the total equation.

• 13. Re: Calculating GPA
                                  philmodjunk

Then to get a count of letter grade results you could use this expression:

( Length ( GradeField1 ) = 1 ) + ( Length ( GradeField2 ) = 1 ) + ( Length ( GradeField3 ) = 1 ) + ( Length ( GradeField4 ) = 1 )

This will then evaluate as 4 if all three fields show single letter grades and 3 if one of the fields has text of more than one letter such as the text "pass" or "fail". (this works because a true/false (Boolean) expression evaluates as 1 if it's true and 0 if it's false.

• 14. Re: Calculating GPA
                                    JoshuaGagnon

Thanks - question though, which equation field do I put it in (or am I making a new one). RawScore or SummerGPA?

RawScore = calculation that adds the 4 PeriodXGradeCalculations together

SummerGPA = divides the RawScore by 4

1 2 Previous Next