3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 7:46 AM by philmodjunk

Calculating months from days

TylerNelson

Title

Calculating months from days

Hi! I have a question that I imagine will be super easy for the wizards on this forum.

I have a calculation field that uses a basic calculation to get the number of days in a period:

DaysLeftInPeriod = PeriodEndDate - PeriodStartDate

I'd like to deduce the months left in the period using a more precise calculation than the one I'm currently using:

Case (Not IsEmpty (PeriodEndDate) ; Round (DaysLeftInPeriod / 30 ; 1 ) ; 0 )

I know that this gives me inconsistent months, since some months have 31 days. Is there a function or calculation that calculates months from days more accurately?

• 1. Re: Calculating months from days
          philmodjunk

A month can be 28, 29, 30 and 31 days in length. How do you plan on defining a "month"? What do you want to do with partial months?

Example:
          Do you want to count a month as the interval from day X of Month 1 to day x of month 2? And if PeriodEnd Date is on Month 3, day x + 5, what result do you want to show for the 5 additional days more than 2 months?

And can the Peroid start and/or Period End dates fall in the 28th through 31st day interval where there might not be a corresponding day in the preceding months of the specified date interval?

• 2. Re: Calculating months from days
            TylerNelson

Great point! Thanks!

Now that you mention all of that, perhaps my calculation is good enough as it is. I'm rounding to the nearest 1 anyways, so there's no point in trying to get the month numbers down exactly. Now that I really think about it, an approximation is good enough. At least I know that Filemaker is calculating the number of days between two dates accurately. So that number divided by 30, rounded to 1 should suffice.

Sorry, false alarm! :)

• 3. Re: Calculating months from days
              philmodjunk

For anyone reading this thread in search of an answer. It IS possible to return a result based on the day of the month and that produces a result of "A months, B days..."