1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 2:34 PM by bruns

Calculating Turnover Rate

bruns

Title

Calculating Turnover Rate

I currently have the following fields but not sure if this is working right , if someone can help, I appreciate it.  It does not seem to calc right or I just cannot get my head around it.  I only have 2 employees in this trial database and I am showing both were hired this year and one terminated .  I just ran the 2 dates from 1/1/13 - 12/31/13 and it came up with 0.2 average employees, 1 terminated with a turnover rate of 439.8%.  Calculating turnover rate seems confusion to me , cannot get my head around it.  These are the fields I currently have and below that I am posting internet defination of calculating turnover rate.  If anyone can help , I appreciate it.

Should the date fields be global?????

Field                                                    Type

averageEmployeesPeriod           Calculation                  unstored, = Average ( Calendar::countemployees)

countTerminationsPeriod             Calculation                unstored,=  Sum ( Calendar::countTerminations )

dateEnd                                             Date

dateStart                                             Date

turnover                                                Calculation               unstored, = countTerminationsPeriod / averageEmployeesPeriod

Tally up terminations and firings. To effectively calculate turnover, you should start with a total number of people who are not with the company anymore. Most businesses also involve those who voluntarily quit in their turnover numbers.

Apply the number of lost employees to a specific time frame. To calculate turnover, you will need to figure out the scope of the turnover instance at which you are looking. For example, if you can ascertain that 12 people left a business or department from January 1 of one year to January 1 of the next year, that turnover statistic will be 12 per annum

Divide your turnover number by the total staff number. In the above example, if the business has 60 employees, divide 12 by 60 to come up with the overall turnover percentage, which is 20 percent

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
          bruns

Another defination for turnover

Turnover: How do we calculate monthly turnover rates for our company? 

7/8/2005                                           

Monitoring turnover is an important function of human resources. Companies like to monitor the movement of employees out of the organization so they can look for and minimize causes of turnover. Controlling turnover is one of the many quantitative ways the HR department can impact the bottom line.

The formula for calculating turnover on a monthly basis is figured by taking the number of separations during a month divided by the average number of employees on the payroll . Multiply the result by 100 and the resulting figure is the monthly turnover rate.

Example:

Number of separations during month
                                        --------------------------------------------------- X 100
                                        Average number of employees on payroll during the month

The number of separations during the month includes both voluntary and involuntary terminations. Do not include employees who are on layoff.

There are times when employers would like to calculate the annual turnover rate. This can be done by adding each of the monthly rates together. January + February+March+April ......+Dec = Annual Turnover rate.

• 2. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
            philmodjunk

Do your averageEmployeesPeriod and countTerminationsPeriod return the correct values?

Nothing in what you have shown uses the DateStart and DateEnd fields at all as far as I can tell from what you have posted so far.

It would seem that you need to Divide the count of "termination events" over a specified time period by the count of employees that were active during that same time period. I don't quite see how your current design can count those two quantities for you.

• 3. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
              bruns

You are right I do not see anything either using these dates.  This was given to me back in FileMaker 8 time frame.  I am interested in finding turnover between 2 specific dates that I chose.  any idea where I am off on this?  I did find this in calendar with those dates.  Is there something much simpliar to use for finding turnover?  Thanks

• 4. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                bruns
                 Another image
                • 5. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                  bruns

another image

• 6. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                    bruns

It would seem that you need to Divide the count of "termination events" over a specified time period by the count of employees that were active during that same time period. I don't quite see how your current design can count those two quantities for you.

Phil, your comment right above this sounds correct and I agree I don't think I am using the date fields.  Any idea were I can go from here?

• 7. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                      bruns

The date fields are doing something, not sure what.  If I change the dates, it changes the average employess, I assume by the dates.

• 8. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                        bruns

I found a better defination for find turnover by the month, but I would rather use to dates.  Not sure how to tie it all together.  Thanks

•                

Determine the number of employees that left in the last three months and divide by three. Let's say nine employees left XYX company. The average number of employees to leave the organization in one month is 3 (9 / 3).

•           

Determine the average number of active employees. The best way to find the average is to take the sum of employees at the beginning of the month and the end of the month and divide by 2. Let's say there were 100 employees at the beginning of the month and 106 at the end of the month. The average number of employees over the month is 103 ((100 + 106)/2).

•                      

Divide the number of employees that left the organization by the average number of employees. The answer is 0.08 (9 / 103) or 8 percent (.08 x 100). That is, the monthly turnover

•           

•                Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_6456400_calculate-monthly-turnover.html#ixzz2pGV0ZTMx
                        •      

• 9. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                          philmodjunk

First, we need to establish the "starting Table Occurrence context". Obviously, you are looking at values on a layout. If you enter Layout Setup and check the "Show Records From" drop down, what name is selected?

The relationships show me how the date start and date end fields are used to match to data in a specific date range. So we need to establish our "starting point" and then see where things fail to work.

It will also be helpful to show me the relationship details for linking Calendar to the two PERS table occurrences for employed and terminated personnel.

• 10. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                            bruns

Here are some screen shots.  Let me know what else you need.

• 11. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                              bruns

Another

• 12. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                                bruns

another

• 13. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                                  bruns

another

• 14. Re: Calculating Turnover Rate
                                    bruns

another