5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 4:33 PM by philmodjunk

Calculation and summary fields to report my data.  Create them in same table or different table?

jacksrmd

Title

Calculation and summary fields to report my data.  Create them in same table or different table?

My brain is a little slow today, so I do apologize in advance.  These questions are based on efficient FileMaker solution design.

Since FileMaker 4.0, I've always created calculation and summary fields WITHIN THE SAME TABLE as the fields they are calculating and summarizing.  Therefore the number of fields within my tables are generally 50+ calculation/summary fields. 

Should I even care how many calculation/summary fields are within a table if the number of text, number, date fields are between 10-30?

If I create a table that only contains the calculation/summary fields for reporting, how should I relate the tables? 

I tried using a global field that contains the same value, but I got strange results and I couldnt decide which table the layout should be based on.

How should the layout be setup for the summary of the information?

I did change the BODY to LEADING GRAND SUMMARY.