3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 8:34 PM by Jefffriesen

Calculation Based on Item in Value List

Jefffriesen

Title

Calculation Based on Item in Value List

Hi,

I have an invoice type of layout in Filemaker 11 Pro. I want to create an auto entry number in a field called "Total Line one". This would be dependant upon a specific value (i.e. DVD) in a drop down list being selected in my "order type 1" field. I then want to enter a quantity number in the "quantity 1" field. When "DVD" is selected I want a calculation of $8.00 x "quantity 1" to show up in the "total line one" field. I want to set this up for all items in the drop down list to reflect different prices for the item selected.

If "CD" is selected, I want the "totalline one" field to enter the total value of $5.00 x "quantity 1"

If "DVD" is selected I want the "total line one" field to enter the total value of $8.00 x "quantity 1"

If "MP3" is selected I want the "total line one" field to the enter total value of $3.00 x "quantity 1"

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Calculation Based on Item in Value List
          philmodjunk

It can be done, but I suggest you rethink your table design. If I understand you correctly, you have multiple fields in each record in your order table for listing the individual items sold on that invoice. I suggest you create a related table of line items and use a portal to that field for listing the items purchased in that order.

This is both more flexible--there's no longer any limit to the number of items you can purchase in a single order, but it's also much simpler to work with to get your calculations--which appear to be the unit price of a specified item times the quantity.

• 2. Re: Calculation Based on Item in Value List
            Jefffriesen

Thanks for your quick response. I have not used Filemaker for this type of thing before. I have one table "catalogue" that contains approximately 2000 records containing information that has been recorded and stored in an archive. I have a second table that I have just set up for ordering these audio or video files in various formats. I already have a portal to the "order table" from the "catalogue" that brings up the specific record in the order table by a date and time relationship. Do you suggest I create a third table? and if this is what you think, how would you lay that out?

Thanks for your input!

• 3. Re: Calculation Based on Item in Value List
              Jefffriesen

Thanks for your help. I believe I have it figured out.