7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 2:54 PM by philmodjunk

Calculation Delay problem

JillX_1

Title

Calculation Delay problem

I have a calculation field A, where A= C-B

And field C is a calcualtion field as well, if I enter a data to calculate C, then A will be calculated automatically.

Now I got a delay in calculation, if I enter the data, field A does not change unless I scroll up and down or clicking the box in layout interface.

What could lead to this problem and what shall I do to get rid of this ?

Thank you!!

• 1. Re: Calculation Delay problem
          philmodjunk

This should sound familiar by now: Wink

Please describe this in more detail.

It could be that you have not commited the record after editing the fields refrenced by C's calculation. (Your Scrolling and mouse clicking may be commiting the record and then A is able to update.)

It could also be that there is a relationship/layout design issue involved that complicates the refresh process.

• 2. Re: Calculation Delay problem
            JillX_1

It indeed sound familiarCool, and this should sound familiar too: Thank you for your patience.

I have four fields in table "Shipping":

Estimated Date of Shipping(ETD)

Estimated Date of Arrival(ETA)

Carrier

Transportaion Time

First I enter ETD, then I select a Carrier. For each carrier,there will be a transportation time accordingly, I am using an independent table "Carrier" to records carrier information, the relationship is Shipping::Carrier=Carrier::Carrier. Transportaion time in Shipping table is calculated as :

List(Carrier::Transportation time)

And my ETA should be calculated as:

ETD+ Transportation Time

If I change a carrier, transportation time changes immedeately, while ETA will not change after I scroll up and down or move mouse to box.

What is the problem here then? Because Transportation time is calculated?

• 3. Re: Calculation Delay problem
              philmodjunk

Transportaion time in Shipping table is calculated as :

Why the list function? From what you describe, you would seem to have many shipping records linking to the same Carrier record, a many to one relationship. If so, this list function does nothing, you can just use Carrier::Transportation Time and get the same result.

What is the return data type specified for Transportation Time? Is it Number?

• 4. Re: Calculation Delay problem
                JillX_1

You are right, transportation time is number.

• 5. Re: Calculation Delay problem
                  philmodjunk

Is it a number field with an auto-entered calculation or a calculation with Number as the return type?

• 6. Re: Calculation Delay problem
                    JillX_1

It's a normal, hand type in number field

• 7. Re: Calculation Delay problem
                      philmodjunk

Then how did you do this?

Transportaion time in Shipping table is calculated as :

I think you have an auto-entered calculation when you should either have a calculation field or just refer directly to the Carrier::Transportation time time field and not have a time field in the Shipping table at all. (It depends on what you need to do with this data before I know whether that will work or not.)