8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 11:08 AM by storywizard

calculation field

storywizard

Title

calculation field

yet another question:

I want to put a Calculation field from my Personnel table on the Tasks table, this would be the full name of the person doing the work. I have tried adding a related field and tried adding a portal, I get this error message:

'action cannot be performed because field is not modifiable'

so how can I get the full name on the Task layout??

boy this is hard work for an old man...:-)

S

• 1. Re: calculation field
          philmodjunk

When you go to Manage Database and look at your Relationship Map is this field by any chance connected to another table via a relational link? You get that error when something you did tries to modify the contents of a calculation field. Either you clicked into a calculation field and tried to type in some data or you have a relationship that is creating a similar result.

Try describing what you did in much more detail. 

• 2. Re: calculation field
            storywizard

OK:

I have two tables, Tasks, and Personnel. They are connected by a join table: Assignments. In Assignments I have foregn keys: TasksID and PersonnelID. As well as trying to list all the tasks done by various Personnel, I am tring to  take the calculation field I created in the  Personnel layout that merged the first and last name of the person, and link it to the Tasks layout. I am able to set the field up, but it does not link, and of course, as you pointed out, as soon as I try to type in that field I get the error message. 

Storywizard

• 3. Re: calculation field
              philmodjunk

And you should get that error message. If you are going to try changing a name, shouldn't you be typing in the First Name or Last Name fields?

It sounds like the main issue is that you are adding a related name field to a layout that refers to your tasks table and it is blank. Would that be correct? If so, you will need to examine your relationships/table references and the values in your key fields to figure out what's wrong.

(BTW, a "join table" is the label we database geeks use when referring to a table that serves as the "in between" table between two other tables so that we get a many to many relationship.)

Please describe how you are linking Personnel records to Task records. PersonnelID to PersonnelID or something more complex?

• 4. Re: calculation field
                storywizard

Hi:

Yes I have a many to many relationship between Tasks and Personnel, thus a join table.

"And you should get that error message. If you are going to try changing a name, shouldn't you be typing in the First Name or Last Name fields?"

When I created the equation that is what I did...

"adding a related name field to a layout that refers to your tasks table and it is blank"

OK, I guess I have to say I am lost...sorry my ole brain can't keep up...:-)

"Please describe how you are linking Personnel records to Task records. PersonnelID to PersonnelID or something more complex?"

Hmmm: all I have :

Tasks :: TasksID to Assignments :: TaskID 

Assignments :: PersonnelID to  Personnel :: PersonneID

Hope that is clear...

Thanks for the help....

Storywizard

• 5. Re: calculation field
                  philmodjunk

Sorry, when you said you had two tables, I missed that the next sentence described a third join table in your earlier posts.

Some questions:

When you created your layout, what table did you specify for it?

Describe step by step how you put your "Name" field on that layout.

I suspect that your many to many relationship is keeping you from editing a related field.

• 6. Re: calculation field
                    storywizard

OK:

I am off home now, will look at those question in the morning...

Thanks...

Storywizard

• 7. Re: calculation field
                      storywizard

I am using the generic layout created by filemaker when I created the table..

S

• 8. Re: calculation field
                        storywizard

I am realizing that I am totally out of my depth here. I am a total newbie to database design, trying to build a 6 table database and getting totally confused. Maybe time to find a consultant, don't want to waste the bosses time...

S