AnsweredAssumed Answered

Calculation Field

Question asked by RandallNewman on Dec 10, 2010
Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 by RandallNewman

Title

Calculation Field

Hi, I am pretty new to Filemaker Pro and need some help. I am trying to implement a database to help keep track of expenses associated with academic conferences, lectures, or other departmental events. To that end, I have created a file with a unique record for each event and with a comprensive list of categories of expenses.

My difficulty is that different accounts may be used to pay for different expenses in the same event. I would like to create calculation fields for each account that total the expense amounts for that account in that one conference, lecture, or event. I have been unable to figure out the right calculation formula.

Below is an example of what I have created. Please note that the account fields are simple text fields in which the account number must be entered manually. I am not certain whether specific expenses will always be associated with the same account. The department has multiple accounts and when one account is depleted others may be used to cover the same expense.

For example,

Event ID = 10001

Event = Conference

Expense                 Amount                      Account

Honorarium            $500                          43100

Travel                      $350                         44100

Dinner                    $100                           43100

Room                      $25                             44100

Account 43100    Total

Account 44100    Total

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

R

Outcomes