3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 12:13 AM by Socio.t

Calculation field in layout

Socio.t

Title

Calculation field in layout

Hello everyone,

I have a question that might seem strange.

I am wondering if it is possible to introduce fields, like calculation fields in a form layout that doesn't already exists in a table.

What I mean is, like in MS Access (apologize for the reference), you could introduce fields in Forms that weren't related to a specific table and would then configure them. In FMP 10 I can only set fields in tables.

Is it possible to create fields ion Form Layout that are notin any table? Or by any chance create a Layout that isn't related to table and that you can later link to a table?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Luís

• 1. Re: Calculation field in layout
          Orlando

Hi Luis

Yes you can, using the Web Viewer and a dataurl tag you can have calculations that will run the calculation you specify in the web viewer, with no need for a calculated field, enter the Web Address as:

"data:text/html," & Calc

I have put together a quick demo for some guys as work, it has a custom function that goes a bit further and has all the HTML and CSS for you to format the text, feel free to take it apart use it if it does the trick.

LayoutCalcDEMO

If you have any questions about the demo just ask.

I hope this helps 

• 2. Re: Calculation field in layout
            mrvodka

Hi Luis.

The ability to create layout level calculations does not exist in FileMaker. Using the web viewer as Orlando pointed out is one way of getting around that limitation.

FileMaker is very much contextual based and there is no true seperation of interface and data. In FM, you have table and then occurrences of those tables. Layouts are based on these table occurrences.

• 3. Re: Calculation field in layout
              Socio.t

Thank you so much. I think that was exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards,

Luís