2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 3:47 PM by SueFrost

Calculation Field isn't calculated

SueFrost

Title

Calculation Field isn't calculated

I'm sure there's a ridiculously simple reason why I'm not getting a result for this calculated field:

The Stock Value field should be taking the Units on Hand (calculated field, unstored and displaying correctly on the layout) multiplied by the Price Retail Tier 1 (aka Price) field from the Products Pricing table. Here's my formula:

Units on Hand * Products Pricing::Price Retail Tier 1

The Price field is showing on the layout too - I'm referencing it directly from the Products Pricing table. Since I see the value on the layout, I'm assuming the relationship is set up properly.

What am I missing?

TIA!

• 1. Re: Calculation Field isn't calculated
          philmodjunk

When you check this in Manage | Database | Fields, is this a field of type calcualtion or a number field with an auto-entered calculation?

An auto-entered calculation field that references a field from a different record will not automatically update.

If it's a field of type calculation, check to see what table occurrences is specified in the "context" drop down at the top of the specify calculaiton dialog. It might be set to refer to the wrong "context". (Calculation fields do not evaluate from the context of the layout's table occurrence, they evaluate from the context of the table occurrence specified in this drop down.)

• 2. Re: Calculation Field isn't calculated
            SueFrost

Hi Phil,

The field type for "Stock Value" is calculation.

The context is the Inventory table. I have two instances of this table: Inventory and Inventory Value List. I tried flipping the context to Inventory Value List and pulling the Units on Hand from the same instance. That did the trick!

Thanks!