1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 1:28 PM by philmodjunk

Calculation field mystery

Koski

Title

Calculation field mystery

Here is something I don't understand in creating a calculation field.  I hope one of you can explain it to me. 

Sometimes when I create a calculation the "Evaluate this calculation from the context of:" window at the top of the dialogue box shows "<unknown>".  This seems to create a problem with the calculation displaying immediately upon changing one of the values related to it.  I can't figure out what I'm doing to make the "<unknown>" happen sometimes but not others.  Consequently, I can't figure out how to change the "<unknown>" to a valid file name to fix the problem. I'm using Filemaker version 7

<!--  [if !mso]&gt; &lt;style&gt; v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt;   Normal   0   false         false   false   false     EN-US   X-NONE   X-NONE                                        MicrosoftInternetExplorer4                                      &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 10]&gt; &lt;style&gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&quot;Table Normal&quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-priority:99;      mso-style-qformat:yes;      mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0pc .45pc 0pc .45pc;      mso-para-margin:0pc;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      text-indent:3.0pc;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:11.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;      mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;      mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;      mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;      mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  -->

<!--  [if gte vml 1]&gt;                         &lt;![endif]  --> 

• 1. Re: Calculation field mystery
          philmodjunk

The list of "tables" in this drop down are actually the list of Table Occurrences from your relationship graph that refer to the same data  source table. If you have deleted all table occurrences from your graph, then you will see <unknown> in this drop down. Add a table occurrence for this source table, and you'll see it's name appear here.

Many folks find the terms Table and Table Occurrence confusing. To learn more, click the following link:

Table vs. Table Occurrence (Tutorial)