3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 10:15 AM by philmodjunk

Calculation field summary incorrect

illbe

Title

Calculation field summary incorrect

OK, here is another bonehead question:

I have a calculation field that counts weekdays between two dates, when I try to add an average summary field based on this calc field, I get a negative weird number. Here is the calc for the days:

7 * Int ( ( Medical Exam Received - Medical Exam Requested ) / 7 ) +Middle ( "0012345501234544012343340123223491111234010012340" ; 7 * (DayOfWeek ( Medical Exam Requested ) - 1 ) + DayOfWeek ( Medical Exam Received ) ; 1 )

Any help here would of course be appreciated beyond belief.

Tom

• 1. Re: Calculation field summary incorrect
          philmodjunk

Perhaps Medical Exam Received is blank for one of the records in your found set. That would cause this calculation to evaluate as a very negative number and it would then skew your average in the negative direction by a large value.

• 2. Re: Calculation field summary incorrect
            illbe

... and I'm guessing that if more than 1 record is blank it would really mess it up eh?

Can I get around this by adding a "if this is not blank" if staement to my days calc?

• 3. Re: Calculation field summary incorrect
              philmodjunk

Dates in FileMaker record the number of days since December 31, year 0000 and a blank date field in this calcuation evaluates as zero.

What value is valid if a date field is blank? Do you want that to be null, 1, 0 or....? The answer to that question should guide you in how to modify the calculation so that it checks for empty date fields.

Another alternative might be to perform a find that omits all records where this calculation evaluates to a number less than zero so that those records are excluded from the summary calculation.