1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 1:24 PM by philmodjunk

Calculation Field: How To Return Only Unique Values / Remove Duplicates From Related Record

James_L

Title

Calculation Field: How To Return Only Unique Values / Remove Duplicates From Related Record

I'm trying to make a calculation field that contains a list from a child-table:

List (Abstract_Property_Join::Proj_Chain_Number)

Easy enough, but the child-table's field contains a number of duplicates, so my list looks like this:

.  How can I tweak this so that it returns only unique values (or putting the same thing another way, removes the duplicates)?

• 1. Re: Calculation Field: How To Return Only Unique Values / Remove Duplicates From Related Record
          philmodjunk

Define a conditional value list based on the same relationship. (ie. list the values in the value list from Abstract_Property_Join::Proj_Chain_Number and select "include only related values starting from [select your parent table occurrence's name in the drop down]. Then this function call:

ValueLIstITems ( Get ( FIleName ) ; "yourValueListNameInQuotesGoesHere" )

will return the list of unique items.

And if you are using FileMaker 12, you can use ExecuteSQL with the DISTINCT keyword and a "join" expression that recreates your relationship between these two tables to get the exact same list without having to also define a conditional value list.