AnsweredAssumed Answered

calculation for displaying multiple db entries in a line

Question asked by shamat on Nov 8, 2012
Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 by shamat

Title

calculation for displaying multiple db entries in a line

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to filemaker 12. I'mbuilding a database of literary texts. So far, it looks like this:

id_text            text_label          part                   line_num               word_num        word                        type

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                1                             To                              PREP

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                2                             be,                            VERB

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                3                             or                               CONJ

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                4                             not                            NEG

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                5                             to                               PREP

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                6                             be:                            VERB

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                7                             that                           DEM

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                8                             is                                VERB

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                9                             the                            ART

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    1                                10                          question.                NOUN

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    2                                1                             Whether                 ADV

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    2                                2                             'tis                             VERB

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    2                                3                             nobler                      ADJ

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    2                                4                             in                               PREP

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    2                                5                             the                            ART

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    2                                6                             mind                         NOUN

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    2                                7                             to                               PREP

00001               Hamlet                3_1                    2                                8                             suffer                       VERB

As you see, the data are structured and encoded as to make possible basic literary analysis (for instance I would like to get the total number of verbs, nouns, the average lenght of a sentence, etc.). I’m trying to make a calculation field that displays in a printer-firendly version, i.e.:

To be, or not to be: that is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

Any suggestion?

Outcomes