1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 7, 2008 1:53 PM by TSGal

Calculation Help

AncientOracle

Title

Calculation Help

I have a scripting issue, on somewhat of a deadline, and I can't find the answer.. turning a lookup field, into a calculation field..  just stuck in a loop

If (IsEmpty ( ServiceNNA ) ; 0 ; Service Size Desc NNA ) = Service)_priceNNA

what i'm trying to do is this:

there is a drop down field that allows you to choose a type of product/service.  The next field allows you to choose the size/dimension of the product.  When both of these are entered, the unit price should fill in (from a rate card calculation database), the user would fill in the Qty and units, and the subtotal is calculated all within a portal.

I suspect that the key to the problem is that the product/service field immediately fills in the unit price field  (this is a lookup from the rate database).  The Size/Dimension field then is purely information by that point, but I know the can be all linked thru a calculation field.

I need to know, how to attach the ServiceNNA and the Service Size Desc NNA together in a calculation, as the Service Size Desc NNA is a drop down menu from the value list.

• 1. Re: Calculation Help
          TSGal

AncientOracle:

Thank you for your post.

I don't know how your tables are set up, but it appears that you only have the product/service field as the key field to obtain the price.  You may want to look at your relationships graph and also add the size/dimension field to the relationship.  That way, both fields are necessary for the lookup.

I'm not sure of the relationship of Service_priceNNA.  Assuming this is in the other table, perhaps you want to check to make sure either of the key fields are blank before using it.  That is:

If (IsEmpty (ServiceNNA) or IsEmpty (Service Size Desc NNA); 0; ServiceNNA & Service Size Desc NNA)

That is, if either ServiceNNA or Service Size Desc NNA is empty/blank, then there is no value.  Once there is a value in BOTH fields, then we concatenate them together.

Does that make sense?

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.