6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 10:52 AM by BERGSTEN

Calculation Help

BERGSTEN

Title

Calculation Help

I have the following calculation to display one field on a print layout:

Man& " "&Model&" "&Item_Name_Description

It works perfectly on some records, but not on others. On some it doesn't display at all. I have an print view of an invoice with Qty, Description (the calculation), Price and Ext Price and everything but the description appears on every record....why is this..?

• 1. Re: Calculation Help
          philmodjunk

Can you describe your layout and underlying tables in more detail?

Is the calculation field located in a portal row on your layout?

Can you temporarily modify your layout to place the indivdual fields Man, Model, Item_Name_Description next to your calculation field? (That way you can check to see if these fields have the values you expect to see.)

Is this a calculation field or a text field with an auto-entered calculation? If it's a text field, what options did you select for this calculation?

• 2. Re: Calculation Help
            BERGSTEN

The calculation field is in a portal row. The print layout just has mirrored fields from the invoice layout such as billin address and client info, as well as totals.

I have

[Invoices] ---[Inventory-Link]---[Inventory]

I temporarily placed one of the calculation fields on the print layout and it showed up on every record.

It is a text field.: I selected and unselected "Do not replace contents..." and neither option made a difference. No other options are checked.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Calculation Help
              philmodjunk

OK, let's dig a bit deeper.

Is

a direct paste of the caculation expression or do some of the fields come from a related table?

Are the fields Man, Model data fields or calculation fields. If calculation fields, are they stored or unstored?

Which table is your layout based on?

Which is the portal based on?

"I temporarily placed one of the calculation fields on the print layout and it showed up on every record."

I'm afraid that confuses me a bit. You haven't desribed any calculation field just the text field with the auto-enter calculation posted above, but that sentence implies more than one calculation field. What "calculation fields" are your referring to here?

• 4. Re: Calculation Help
                BERGSTEN

is a calculation from the Inventory_Link table. All fields are from this table.

Man and Model are text fields, stored, looked up from the Inventory Table.

The layout is based on the Invoices table. The Portal is based on the Inventory_Link table.

"I temporarily placed one of the calculation fields on the print layout and it showed up on every record."

That meant that I put a field "Model" on the layout to see if it would display on all records and it did. AKA one of the fields represented by the calculation. Sorry about that.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Calculation Help
                  philmodjunk

Without actually examining the file, all I can say is that this should work, provided you have cleared the "do not replace existing value..." option for this field so that it updates properly. You might have some records where this was not enabled until after the data was entered--I'm speculating that might create the spotty pattern you have where some records show a value and others don't.

I don't really see a need for this field to be auto-entered text. Try converting it to a calculation field with the same expression that returns text. That will force all your records to update and will likely fix the problem.

• 6. Re: Calculation Help
                    BERGSTEN

That;s exactly what it was-- I just re-imported the records that I had entered before the calculation changed and it worked.

Thanks for all your help!