8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 1:48 PM by comment_1

calculation not updating

CraigFiore

Title

calculation not updating

Hello,

I am having an issue with calculation and summary function not working all the time unless we click in the field. Then it seems to reset itself.

Im our data base we have page with maybe 10 calculation or summary, this includes the calculation in portals.  Sometimes the fields do not update unless we click in the field, then it gets updated.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?  I know more information may be needed for you to help but, i have know idea where to start without describing every function in my data base.

Thanks,

Craig 

• 1. Re: calculation not updating
          MikeyG79
             is it set to recalculate every time and not store results?
          • 2. Re: calculation not updating
            CraigFiore

The box is checked "Do not Store Calculation results-recalculate when needed" under the options. I do not see any setting like that for the summary fields.

The weird thing is, it does not happen every time.

The things i added since this started was

1.  A LOCK  field that does which includes an trigger script when entering the record to lock certain fields but this does not include any of these calculation or summary field that are having the issue.

And 2. a script to add records in another layout, but the current layout has a portal to that layout.

• 3. Re: calculation not updating
              philmodjunk
                 Are you displaying a summary field from a related table? That method often results in a field that doesn't update as smoothly as we'd like. If so, you can get the same results without a refresh issue if you define a calculation with a Sum() or other aggregate function to add up (or perform other aggregate functions on) the values from the related table.
              • 4. Re: calculation not updating
                CraigFiore

Yes, I am displaying summary fields from a related table. I will try the SUM() instead or summary fields. 

Any ideas on the calculation in the same layout? These calculation are linked through a portal with the same layout. So I guess it has a relationship with itself. 

• 5. Re: calculation not updating
                  philmodjunk
                     How is the data being changed? By you on this layout, by you on another layout or by other users sharing the database?
                  • 6. Re: calculation not updating
                    CraigFiore

The calculation fields being changed by myself and others in the same layout. But, its in a portal showing the information from the same layout. Does that make sense?

The summary fields are being changed by myself and other from another layout. 

• 7. Re: calculation not updating
                      philmodjunk

To explain in more detail...

Are you looking at a field and expecting it to update when another user on the network edits data?

• 8. Re: calculation not updating
                        comment_1

CraigFiore wrote:

Does anyone know what may be causing this?  I know more information may be needed for you to help but, i have know idea where to start without describing every function in my data base.

There are several scenarios in which this may happen. Basically, Filemaker refreshes the screen only when it thinks it's needed - and sometimes it isn't aware of all dependencies. The most common cases: a relationship that depends on the results of another relationship, and using related summary fields.

Adding an arbitrary reference to a calculation can provide a solution in some cases . In others, there is no recourse except calling Refresh Window explicitly.