2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 1:37 PM by trialuser1111

Calculation to aggregate multiple entries in a related field?

trialuser1111

Title

Calculation to aggregate multiple entries in a related field?

In my database I have a bunch of documents in container fields.  Each document (managed in the Documents table) is assigned to a Contact, and has a set of tags assigned to it via a portal field ("Tag") in the Document Tags table.  What I would like to be able to do is have a calculation field in the Documents table that just lists out the related tags for a document in another layout.

In the Documents Layout, each document is listed in a wide row that has a portal table that lists the tags vertically:

|Documents::Name    [file attachment image]    Document Tags::Tag |

|                                                                     Document Tags::Tag |

|                                                                     Document Tags::Tag |

In another layout for Contacts (to which the documents are assigned, I don't have the space to list tags vertically, so I'd like to have the tags listed out, comma separated within the portal layout:

|::Documents::Name                   [tag, tag, tag, tag, tag]|

I don't need to be able to add or edit tags from this view, just browse and search them.  I'm running into trouble with my calculations and scripts to make this work smoothly.