3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 10:50 AM by philmodjunk

Calculation with specific data from field.

MacMak

Title

Calculation with specific data from field.

Hello.

I have a field called status that contains - nominated, nominating, awarded and judged. Some records contain blank cell but other contain 1 from each of the 4 mentioned.

I need to create a field for each that will display the number from: nominated, nominating, awarded and judged - so I can display the total number from each on a layout.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Calculation with specific data from field.
          philmodjunk

Does the same field store multiple values?

Example: could one field contain both the values "nominated" and "nominating"?

From the words used, I would think that the field contains only one of these values, but that's just an assumption on my part.

Is the list you show, the exact values stored in the field or does the field contain one (or more) of these values combined with other text?

With a field that stores only one of the 4 exact words that you have listed, a summary report can easily be devised that counts the number of records in each category, but I don't yet know if this is what you have here or not.

• 2. Re: Calculation with specific data from field.
            MacMak

Thanks for your reply. Please see below:

Does the same field store multiple values? It stores one value per cell but can be either of the 4 (nominated etc.)

Example: could one field contain both the values "nominated" and "nominating"? 

From the words used, I would think that the field contains only one of these values, but that's just an assumption on my part.

Is the list you show, the exact values stored in the field or does the field contain one (or more) of these values combined with other text?

With a field that stores only one of the 4 exact words that you have listed, a summary report can easily be devised that counts the number of records in each category, but I don't yet know if this is what you have here or not.

I just need to pull the number of records that have each of the 4 (Nominated etc.) meaning 4 different numbers (one for each) Hope this make sense.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Calculation with specific data from field.
              philmodjunk

Create a layout based on this table.

In the table, define sCount as a field of type summary that counts some field in your table that is never empty.

Add a sub summary layout part to your layout and specify this text field with the 4 values as the "when sorted by" field.

Place sCount inside this sub summary part along with the actual text field that contains the value we are counting. (The text field will "label" the counts shown.)

Click on the label for the body part and use the delete key to remove the entire layout part.

If you then enter browse mode and sort your records by this same text field, you should see one row for each value entered in at least one record of the current found set along with a count of the number of records in your found set with this value.